No. 22 Baylor WT Hosts ITA Kickoff Weekend

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Thu Jan 27 13:45:19 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Jan. 27, 2022

No. 22 WT Hosts ITA Kickoff Weekend
Miami, USC, Kansas come to town seeking bid to ITA National Indoors
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 22 Baylor women’s tennis hosts No. 23 Miami, No. 15 USC and Kansas for the ITA Kickoff Weekend on Friday and Saturday.

BU, as the No. 1 seed, faces fourth-seed Kansas (0-1) at 2 p.m. on Friday with No. 2 Miami (2-0) and No. 3 USC (3-0) facing off earlier that day at 11 a.m. A consolation match will follow at 11 a.m. on Saturday with the championship at 2 p.m. The winner punches its ticket to the ITA National Indoors held Feb. 11-14 at Wisconsin.

“Yeah, it’s a neat deal,” Baylor head coach Joey Scrivano said. “Obviously, our players like to play in front of our fans and there’s advantages to playing at home. The fans can make a difference, and that’s what we’re hoping for this weekend.”

The Bears are coming off a 1-1 showing at the Bella the Ball Collegiate Invitational in Las Vegas nearly two weeks ago. After dropping the season opener to BYU, 4-3, the Bears bounced back in a big way with a 6-1 win over Illinois.

“We learned that if we’re not present, you can lose to anybody,” Scrivano said. “And then we also learned that we have the ability to respond, and our players definitely did that. From the BYU to the Illinois match, it was less than 24 hours, and they were two different teams. It was good. We took a lot from that weekend.”

The lineup fluctuated for Baylor in Vegas. A key part to that was the absence of senior Mel Krywoj, who will be a staple at the top of the lineup for the Bears this season. She will be back in action this weekend.

“We feel like we have six players that are really interchangeable, pretty much one through six,” Scrivano said. “That’s an advantage. We can definitely move our lineup around until we figure out who our top six are.”

More than half of Baylor’s lineup played their first dual match in the green and gold in Vegas - Alabama transfer Isabella Harvison, along with freshmen Alina Shcherbinina, Anita Sahdiieva and Ana Carmen Zamburek.

Shcherbinina and Sahdiieva – who are also doubles partners – went undefeated to open their collegiate careers.

“The younger kids, they’re learning awareness,” Scrivano said. “So, I think just match to match or day by day, they’re just kind of learning what it takes and they’re learning what their responsibility is as a teammate.”

For the latest news on the Baylor women's tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorWTennis.

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>