Baylor Track and Field Readies for Larry Wieczorek Invitational

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Wed Jan 19 20:24:20 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 20, 2022

Baylor Track and Field Readies for Larry Wieczorek Invitational
Bears open week two with nine in the weekly top-10 mark list.

For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at Baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – Baylor track & field is set to compete at the Larry Wieczorek Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa this weekend. Action begins Friday and Saturday at 1 p.m. in the University of Iowa Recreation Building.

“It’s another big weekend, but it’s a different weekend because there’s not as many teams,” said head coach Michael Ford. “The theme of this week is executing the race or the event. We want to make sure that we execute property and keep our energy high.”

The Bears are set to compete against Iowa, Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Purdue and Northern Iowa.

“I think sometimes after coming off our first meet you’re excited and ready to go, but the second meet not so much,” said Ford. “I want to try and emphasize keeping the energy high at this meet.”

This weekend’s slate includes former NCAA Indoor Champions Aaliyah Miller and Ackera Nugent, with Nugent returning to her specialty race in the 60-meter hurdles. Trey Fields and Matthew Moorer will both be returning to the 4x400-meter relay as well.

Cole Hardan, who sits atop the Baylor all-time list, is set to make his indoor season debut in shot put, with pole vaulter Tuesdi Tidwell ready to defend her most recent title. Tidwell currently sits tied at the No. 9 slot nationally with a mark of 14 feet, 0.5 inches cleared at the Corky Classic last weekend.

A meet schedule<https://baylorbears.com/documents/2022/1/19/Larry_Wieczorek_Invitational_Schedule.pdf> and live scoring<https://results.wayzatatiming.com/meets/12420> will both be made available online and the meet will be streamed on Big Ten Plus.

For the latest news on the Baylor track and field team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

Colin Pirtle | Communications Intern (Interim-T&F/XC)