No. 2 Baylor MT Opens Season with Sweep of Creighton

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Wed Jan 19 20:47:36 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 19, 2022

No. 2 Baylor MT Opens Season with Sweep of Creighton
Bears have three newcomers earn first wins in defeat of Bluejays
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

LINCOLN, Neb. – The No. 2 Baylor men’s tennis program started the season off right with a sweep of Creighton, 7-0, on Wednesday night in Nebraska’s Dillon Tennis Center.

It was BU’s seventh-straight season to open with a win, while second-year head coach Michael Woodson stayed perfect in season openers.

The Bears (1-0) took the doubles point over the Bluejays (0-2) after wins from all three pairings. No. 18-ranked pair Sven Lah and Finn Bass started it off with a 6-3 defeat of Casey Ross/Matthew Lanahan. Adrian Boitan and Jacob Brumm won the point for the Bears with their 6-2 win over Stratton Brown/Zack Maline, and pair Matias Soto and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi closed it out with a 6-4 win over Shin Inoue/Jose Oscar Diaz.

On the singles side, newcomer Cole Gromley earned BU’s first win of the day and his first win as a Bear going 6-2, 6-1 over Ethan Neil. No. 48 Sven Lah kept it rolling with a 6-1, 6-3 defeat of Lanahan. Grassi Mazzuchi had his first win in the green and gold, defeating Diaz, 6-1, 6-3. Boitan finished up with a win in the No. 1 slot over Ross, 6-1, 6-3. After a battle, graduate transfer Brumm came away with his first Baylor win, defeating Inoue 1-6, 6-2, 10-8. Bass overcame Brown in another tough match, finishing him off 7-5, 6-4 to close out the match for BU.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Jacob Brumm, Cole Gromley and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi each earned their first singles wins as Bears.
  *   BU opened its season with a win for the seventh-straight season. Second-year head coach Michael Woodson stays perfect in season openers.
  *   Sven Lah picked up his 97th doubles win, winning with Finn Bass over the Bluejays.

QUOTABLE – Head coach Michael Woodson
“I thought it was a really good start to the season, it was nice to be out there competing again. I was really impressed with the competitive spirit and energy the guys had, I think that’s something we’ve talked a lot about and I wasn’t sure how we were going to do today after working with them for so long and having so many new faces. I was pleased with the way they competed as a whole. Credit to a very well-coached Creighton team, Tom [Lilly] does a fantastic job with them and they competed hard and together. I was pleased to see them fighting all the way through. They play great indoor tennis so it was a lot of fun to play against them. We’re excited to be out there again and happy to see the new guys out here competing, for the first time for a couple of them. I’m looking forward to more.”

QUOTABLE – Senior Sven Lah
“It was definitely a good start. Having this match today before our match against Nebraska tomorrow, which I think will be a little tougher, was a great opportunity to ease into the season and see where we’re at. Individually, I felt I did a good job handling the momentum throughout my match and I think the other guys did the same on their courts. We’re competing hard, and I’m lucky and thankful that we all got it done. It’s going to be another great day tomorrow.”
Baylor looks to make it 2-0 on the week and the season against Nebraska on Thursday evening in Dillon Tennis Center, with doubles against the Huskers set to begin at 5 p.m. CT. Live scoring and live feeds of the match can be found on the men’s tennis schedule page.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)