No. 4 Baylor EQ Comes Up Short at No. 1 OSU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Feb 6 16:29:58 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 6, 2022

No. 4 Baylor EQ Comes Up Short at No. 1 OSU
Bears hang tough but fall just shy on the road against the Cowgirls

STILLWATER, Okla. – No. 4 Baylor equestrian (4-4, 2-2) suffered an 11-8 loss to No. 1 Oklahoma State (5-1, 4-0) Sunday afternoon at the Pedigo-Hull Equestrian Center in Stillwater, Okla.

Strong Reining rides from the Bears knotted the score at the break, but a dominant second half from the Cowgirls held BU in check.

Despite three rides above 80, Baylor dropped Fences 3-2 to start the day. Savannah Hemby and Madison Mitchell collected the points for the Bears with scores of 83 and 80, respectively. Meanwhile in the Western arena, BU took Reining 3-2 to even the overall ledger before halftime. Madaline Callaway, Jenna Meimerstorf and Andie Pratt were responsible putting the points on the board with scores of 68.5, 70 and 69.

OSU came out strong in the second half to take Horsemanship, 4-1. Nadalee Vasquez was the lone pointwinner in the event for the Bears with a 70.5. BU managed to tie in Flat, but it wouldn’t be enough to overtake the Cowgirls. Caroline Fuller (79), who received Most Outstanding Performer honors, and Emma Fletcher (76) put up the points for BU, while Dominika Silvestri tied in her matchup.

NOTABLES
• Baylor moves to 4-4 against ranked opponents this season and 1-4 against top-five teams in 2021-22.
• The Bears have scored at least seven points in all eight of their meets this season.
• BU won the Reining event for the sixth time in the 2021-22 campaign, including each of the last three.
• Three Bears (Fuller, Hemby, Mitchell) scored at or above 80 in Fences.
• Caroline Fuller earned MOP honors in Flat, her fourth of the year.
• Savannah Hemby won her third-straight point in Fences, with each score at or above an 80.
• Madaline Callaway (2-0-2) and Jenna Meimerstorf (3-0-1) have not lost a Reining ride against a Big 12 opponent.
• Andie Pratt won her third-straight point in Reining.

STAT OF THE MEET
4 – Caroline Fuller gathered her fourth Most Outstanding Performer recognition of the season.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“This was a good test for our team today and we had a lot of really good rides. We made a few mistakes that we can easily clean up as we prepare for TCU. We intend to focus our efforts on what’s next. Huge congratulations to Caroline Fuller on another great ride today, continuing her dominant senior season.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 4 Baylor (4-4, 2-2) returns to the Willis Family Equestrian Center next Saturday, Feb. 12, to host No. 8 TCU (5-5, 0-3) at 11 a.m. CT.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)