Baylor T&F Wraps up Charlie Thomas Invitational

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sat Feb 5 21:35:42 CST 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Feb. 5, 2022

Baylor T&F Wraps up Charlie Thomas Invitational
Bears record double-digit personal-bests

For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu

THE RUNDOWN
BRYAN-COLLEGE STATION, Texas – The Baylor track & field squad completed Texas A&M’s Charlie Thomas Invitational on Saturday, with a total of 10 Bears recording personal-bests in the two-day meet and another one matching his.

DAY ONE

Tuesdi Tidwell went 13-9 for a third-place finish in the women’s pole vault, while Alex Kubicek put up a season-best performance of 12-11. Rylie Smith won a silver medal in the B group of pole vault, tying her personal-best at 11-11 ¾. Kierstyn Ballard made her collegiate debut and finished ninth at 10-11 ¾. Nate Butler competed in the B group in men’s pole vault and finished in seventh-place.

Luke Anthony made his season debut in the heptathlon, completing five of the seven total events on Friday. Anthony finished 12th in the 60-meter dash, 11th in long jump, 11th in shot put and 11th in high jump. After Day One, Anthony sat in 12th-place with 2555 points.

DAY TWO

Matthew Moorer captured the Bears’ lone victory in the men’s edition of the 200-meter dash with a 20.89-second race. Isaiah Cunningham finished in 12th-place, running a season-best 21.45-second time.

In the women’s 200 meters, Mariah Ayers found a new season-high time of 23.67 seconds to finish fourth. Demitra Carter finished in 12th with her time of 24.21, also a season-best. Bria Bullard recorded a new personal-best with a 24.60-second race that put her in 20th-place.

Ryan Day had a good day in the mile, winning his heat and placing eighth overall with a new personal-best time of 4:13.67. Ryan Hodge made his indoor season debut on Saturday, finishing in 17th-place in the mile.

Kennedy Bailey and Kiara Rhodes both qualified for the finals in the 60-meter hurdles, with Bailey placing fourth in 8.45 seconds and Rhodes sixth in Saturday’s final.

Koi Johnson finished eighth in the long jump, after an 18-6 attempt. Alyssa Miller made her indoor season debut, finishing in 30th-place.

Elijah Morris finished the men’s 60-meter hurdles just one spot away from the finals, after racing an 8.03 in prelims.

In the men’s 60 meters, De’montray Callis finished in ninth-place, just missing the finals cutoff by one, after his 6.87 race. Laurenz Colbert tied his personal-best with a 6.99-second finish, good for 22nd-place.

Taylor Whitfield and Hayden Gold both broke the under-five minute mark in the women’s mile, finishing in the 12th and 14th places, respectively.

Anthony completed the heptathlon on Saturday in 15th-place after finishing the 60-meter hurdles in 14th-place, pole vault in 12th-place and the 1000 meters in 12th-place.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Matthew Moorer won his fourth-straight gold medal in the 200-meter dash, finishing in 20.89 seconds.
  *   Hayden Gold and Taylor Whitfield both finished the mile with a sub-five-minute time.

STAT OF THE MEET
10– Number of personal-bests recorded at the Charlie Thomas Invitational.

TOP QUOTES
Michael Ford on the team’s performance…
“On the track side, we had a lot of PRs, but not a lot of wins. I was impressed with Mariah Ayers to run a 23.6 in her 200 meters. I was also glad to see Morgan Stewart, Kiara Rhodes and Alyssa Miller compete. They’ve been out so far this season. Of course, we rested a lot of others, like Johnny Brackins, Trey Fields and Ackera Nugent. We have a long list of kids that we just want to train through this week to get that last push towards conference and being at Tech next week is our last tune-up.”

On the addition of the distance runners…
“I was looking forward to seeing some of our distance kids run this weekend. I was happy with Ryan Day and Ryan Hodge in the mile. That was a good opener for both of them, since they have not run all winter. I was also very pleased with Taylor Whitfield and Hayden Gold breaking five minutes in the mile. Hopefully, we will steadily improve next week to get a last push going into conference.”

Colin Pirtle | Communications Intern (Interim-T&F/XC)