Baylor Soccer Falls to No. 1 North Carolina, 6-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Aug 28 15:34:51 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 28, 2022

Baylor Soccer Falls to No. 1 North Carolina, 6-0
Traywick records a career-high nine saves
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor soccer fell against No. 1 North Carolina, 6-0, Sunday afternoon at Mike A. Myers Stadium.

The Bears battled the Tar Heels in the first half of the game, getting off six shots and two on goal. BU produced three corner kicks but weren’t able to capitalize with any set pieces.

Freshman Micah Beasley played 29 minutes for the Bears, tallying two shots with one on goal, while Blythe Obar and Ashley Merrill each recorded a team-high three shots in the game.

UNC scored three goals each half, despite the efforts of starting Baylor goalkeeper Lauren Traywick, who recorded a career-high nine saves in goal.

Baylor got its best chance of the match in the 82nd minute as back-to-back shots on goal from Merrill were met with back-to-back saves from the UNC goalkeeper. Haven Terry also got a good look in the 90th minute, but the Bears weren’t able to capitalize.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Seven different Bears combined for 12 shots
  *   Five different Bears had shots on goal
  *   Blythe Obar and Ashley Merrill each recorded three shots
  *   Lauren Traywick tallied nine saves
  *   Playing significant minutes off the bench were Gabby Mueller (51 minutes), Haven Terry (49 minutes) and Skye Leach (45 minutes)

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“Well, we knew coming into the game that we were probably playing the top team in the country, and I think they showed today that they are. They are loaded with National Team players and players that will go on to play professionally, so it was a great experience for us to feel what the best was like. Our mentality was to come in and want to commit to our style of play, even if that meant we lose the game. We are growing right now, and we wanted to take those risks. We didn’t want to end up in a low block with no opportunities. Though we are not happy about the number of goals we conceded, we still created our own opportunities and we competed well in good portions of the game.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>