Baylor Soccer Falls to Wisconsin, 2-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Aug 21 20:45:27 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 21, 2022

Baylor Soccer Falls to Wisconsin, 2-0
Bears record 10 shots on goal
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer fell to Wisconsin, 2-0, Sunday night at Betty Lou Mays Field after holding the Badgers scoreless through the first half.

In a battle from the beginning, neither team gave up a goal in the first half as the defenses were on high alert. Baylor put up four shots on goal in the first half, including a back-to-back chance from Ashley Merrill where the Wisconsin goalkeeper had to make two saves.

With Madison Martin starting in goal for the Bears, she came up big in the second half, recording four saves to stop the Badgers from any more goals.

Wisconsin scored both of its goals in a span of just 35 seconds, the second one coming on a penalty kick.

Baylor had its best chance of the second half in the 87th minute, as Olivia Mack, Haven Terry and Maddie Algya all put shots on goal, resulting in three-consecutive saves by the Badgers.

Although Baylor wasn’t able to capitalize, the Bears finished with a 14-12 edge in shots, including 10 on goal.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Olivia Mack recorded three shots on goal
  *   Maddie Algya and Ashley Merrill each had two shots on goal
  *   Haven Terry, Skye Leach, and Gabby Mueller each added one shot on goal
  *   Madison Martin and Hallie Augustyn played all 90 minutes of the game
  *   Haven Terry made her third-career start
  *   Three Baylor newcomers got their first start in green and gold: Trinity Egerton, Kylie Finney and Madison Martin

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“Obviously not the result we were hoping for, but we knew going into the season that we’re a team who’s searching for our identity. How are we going to play and what type of team are we going to be? We’ve had a lot of changes and a lot of injuries, so we expected some growing pains and today was an example of some growing pains. Really, we had some good moments in that game. In the first half, we had some chances that could have turned into a goal. Also, credit to their goalkeeper, she made two consecutive saves in the first half and then two, maybe three consecutive saves in the second half to keep the lead there. What I told the team is we’re in a learning curve right now. We’re trying players in different things. We’ve played different goalkeepers two games in a row. We’ve really got to see what we’ve got going into the next couple weeks, so that we’ll be ready for Big 12 play. Obviously not thrilled with a loss, but I think the amount that we can take away and learn today is really important.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>