Baylor Soccer Records Draw with Minnesota, 1-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Aug 19 00:10:10 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 18, 2022

Baylor Soccer Records Draw with Minnesota, 1-1
Terry scores the Bears lone goal
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer came from behind to tie Minnesota, 1-1, Thursday night at Betty Lou Mays Field.

After an almost two-hour weather delay the Bears and Golden Gophers finally kicked off at 8:47 p.m., with seven of Baylor’s 11 starters picking up their first start in the green and gold.

A strong start defensively, the Bears held Minnesota to just three shots, none on goal. Ashley Merrill recorded one of Baylor’s three shots of the first half, as the Golden Gopher goalkeeper had to make a save.

Coming out fighting in the second half, Minnesota scored a goal in the 51st minute off of a corner kick to go ahead, 1-0 in the match.

Starting in goal for the Bears tonight was Lauren Traywick, who came up big in the second half recording four saves to stop Minnesota from extending their lead.

Subbing in, in the 74th and 78th minutes were Haven Terry and Skye Leach who immediately connected on offense for the Bears. Terry scored the equalizing goal in the 79th minute on an assist from Leach.

The Bears continued their momentum through the end of the match but due to a new NCAA rule, all regular season matches conclude at the end of regulation time, even when resulting in a tie.

In total, 18 Bears saw playing time tonight, including eight newcomers.

 HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Haven Terry scored a goal, the second of her career
  *   Skye Leach recorded her first collegiate assist, played 11 minutes
  *   Four Bears played all 90 minutes, Kayley Ables, Maddie Algya, Blythe Obar and Hannah Augustyn
  *   Four of Baylor’s five transfers saw playing time
  *   Seven of Baylor’s 11 starters were new to the green and gold
  *   Lauren Traywick recorded four saves in goal
  *   Baylor had five corner kicks, to Minnesota’s three

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“Well, obviously, happy that we were able to show some resiliency there at the end and find a way to get back in game and score a goal. And I really felt like we had the momentum there at the end and we weren’t lucky enough to come away with a second goal.”

Haven Terry on her goal …
“I feel like there’s a bit of adrenaline rush, and you’re like “Put me in, coach.” You get a couple of sprints in, and when you come in it’s go-time.”

Maddie Algya on continuing intensity …
“I think there's a lot of nerves this game, it is the first real game of the season, a lot of new players and just overall a good Minnesota team. I think we just need to be more confident. Confidence is key. If we came out more aggressive and with a little more swag it could be a difference maker. So, I think that confidence is key right out the gate and just knowing that we're a good team, we can beat anybody.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>