Baylor Soccer Defeats UTSA in Final Preseason Exhibition

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Aug 14 22:23:38 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 14, 2022

Baylor Soccer Defeats UTSA in Final Preseason Exhibition
Bears top Roadrunners, 2-1
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor soccer closed out the preseason exhibition slate with a win, as they took down UTSA Sunday night in San Antonio, 2-1.

After getting behind early when the Roadrunners scored in the 3rd minute, Baylor bounced back and scored two goals to take the lead going into the second half.

Ashley Merrill found the net for both of Baylor’s first half goals, scoring in the 18th minute on an assist from Blythe Obar and then again in the 41st minute on a cross from Sarah Hornyak.

Baylor goalkeepers Lauren Traywick and Madison Martin split time in goal tonight, with Traywick playing the first 45 minutes and Martin closing out the last half.

The second half was all defense, with neither team recording a goal. Martin came up big in goal in the second half picking up two saves to keep the Roadrunners from tying the match.

Baylor opens regular season play this week as they are set to host Minnesota Thursday, Aug. 18 at Betty Lou Mays Field at 7 p.m.

TOP QUOTES
Michelle Lenard on the game …
“It’s certainly nice to wrap up preseason on two wins! It was a tough and physical game and the girls did a good job of rising above that to try to solve problems tactically. Both of our preseason opponents played very differently from one another so it exposed us to different things we will be seeing throughout the year. We are very happy with the progress the team has made over the last two weeks and very excited to kick off the regular season next Thursday!”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>