No. 11/No. 17 Baylor T&F Closes Regular Season at LSU Invitational

Pirtle, Colin Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 30 19:51:01 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 30, 2022

No. 11/No. 17 Baylor T&F Closes Regular Season at LSU Invitational
Bears collect two collegiate golds on Saturday
For more information contact: Colin Pirtle, 940-564-0351, Colin_Pirtle1 at baylor.edu

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor track and field closed its 2022 regular season in Baton Rouge, La., on Saturday, winning two collegiate gold medals in the process and setting many new personal- and season-best marks.

Chinecherem Prosper Nnamdi found his familiar spot at the top of the javelin throw standings, this time behind a 239-8 throw on his second attempt. Prosper Nnamdi topped the 2021 national champion, LSU's Tzuriel Pedigo, by under two meters.

The distance crew saw a 1-2-3 finish in the women's 1,500 meters. Ellie Friesen finished first with a time of 4:30.24, Taylor Whitfield followed in second after 4:30.61 and Hayden Gold finished it out in the bronze position in 4:35.94.

Imaobong Uko finished second among collegiate competitors in the 400 meters, finishing in a blazing 51.66 seconds, only four-thousandths of a second behind winner Rosey Effiong of Arkansas. Kavia Francis was close behind, finishing in 51.87 seconds. Both Francis and Uko recorded new collegiate PRs in the race.

Ackera Nugent won the bronze medal in the 100-meter hurdles, finishing in a wind-legal 12.99 seconds. Alexis Duncan followed in seventh place after 13.27 seconds, Kennedy Bailey finished 11th, Kiara Rhodes 12th and Alyssa Miller 14th. In the men's 110 hurdles, Elijah Morris finished in a collegiate bronze position after 14.10 seconds.

Dillon Bedell, Matthew Moorer and Nathaniel Ezekiel finished back-to-back-to-back in the men's 400 meters, with Bedell finishing seventh, Moorer eighth and Ezekiel ninth. Bedell's 46.23-second finish was less than two-tenths off a new personal-best.

Aaliyah Miller edged out LSU's Michaela Rose in the final stretch of the 800 meters to finish with a silver medal and a 2:03.32 time.

Moorea Long finished the high jump in a four-way tie for fourth place after clearing 5-5 ¾ successfully. Alyssa Miller followed in 11th place.

De'montray Callis lead the Bears in the 100-meter dash, finishing in ninth place with a 10.24-second finish. Laurenz Colbert finished in 14th and Kamden Jackson was right behind in 16th.

Caira Pettway ran a quick 11.27-second 100-meter dash to finish in 12th place, followed by Sydney Washington (16th), Nugent (21st), Demitra Carter (26th) and Bria Bullard (28th).

Sixteen total Bears competed in the 200-meter dash. The women's edition was highlighted by Uko's PR of 23.33 seconds, followed by Francis in 23.39 and Summer Sergeant in 23.92. The men's race saw Isaiah Cunningham finishing 12th, Callis 13th, Jackson 15th and Colbert 19th.

Briana Garcia came close to that 60-second mark, finishing her 400-meter hurdles race in 1:00.62 to land in sixth. Carter finished in eighth after 1:04.21.

Mikayla Deshazer recorded a season-best 162-6 in the discus throw to open Saturday's completion. Later in the day, she finished eighth in the women's shot put, while Cole Hardan finished 10th in the men's shot put.

Colbert, Cunningham, Jackson and Callis got a 39.32-second finish in the men's 4x100 for a sixth-place spot, while Michaela Francois, Pettway, Washington and Nugent finished in 44.32 for the same sixth-place standing in the women's competition.

To find a complete compilation of Baylor's results from the LSU Invitational, visit DeltaTiming's page online<https://live.deltatiming.com/meets/13608/teams/378094>.

For the latest news on the Baylor track and field team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorTrack.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Podium sweep for the women's 1,500 meters with Ellie Friesen, Taylor Whitfield and Hayden Gold.
  *   Two Baylor quarter-mile runners finished their race in under 52 seconds.
  *   Chinecherem Prosper Nnamdi won another gold in the javelin, throwing a 239-8.

STAT OF THE MEET
1.4 – Meters Chinecherem Prosper Nnamdi bested the 2021 javelin national champion to win gold in the event.

TOP QUOTE
Michael Ford on the team's performance…
"I thought that we had another solid meet. With it being the last meet going into the Big 12 Championships, you just want to keep everyone as healthy as you can and get some work put in, but not over-race people. I think we did a good job today of doing just that. We still had a lot of PRs and seasons-bests this weekend and we just have to keep getting healthy going into conference. I am happy where we are, and I am looking forward to next weekend off to train and refocus for the championship season."

Colin Pirtle | Communications Intern (Interim-T&F/XC)