Baylor Baseball Topped by No. 9 Texas Tech, 11-1

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 30 19:08:38 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 30, 2022

Baylor BSB Topped by No. 9 Texas Tech, 11-1
Jacob Schoenvogel hit his first-career HR in the loss

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball (21-22, 4-13) dropped an 11-1 ballgame on Saturday to No. 9 Texas Tech (31-15, 11-6) at Baylor Ballpark.

Jacob Schoenvogel hit his first-career home run and Kobe Andrade tied his career high in strikeouts, but the Bears were unable to hold down the Red Raiders’ offense as TTU clinched the series victory.

A five-run second inning helped Tech take the early lead, but BU got one back thanks to Schoenvogel’s solo blast in the bottom of the third. Andrade went on to retire 12 straight over the middle innings before exiting in the top of the seventh.

Tech benefited from a three-run home run in the seventh to open up an 8-1 lead, and added another trio of runs in the ninth to increase the tally.

Antonio Valdez joined Schoenvogel as Bears who collected multiple hits, while Jack Pineda reached base four times in the loss.

NOTES
• Baylor extended its streak to 22 games in a row with an extra-base hit.
• The Bears have tallied two or more XBH in 11 of their last 12 games.
• BU added to its Big 12-best total of 47 double plays on the 2022 season with another twin killings in the ballgame.
• Kobe Andrade tied his career high with four strikeouts.
• Jacob Schoenvogel hit his first-career home run and tallied his first multi-hit performance of the season.
• Antonio Valdez also picked up his first multi-hit outing of the year.

STAT OF THE GAME
1 – Jacob Schoenvogel hit his first-career home run.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On facing older teams…
“I was actually looking at it this morning. We have 18 year-olds playing against 24 year-olds. They’re older, they’re more physical, they’re seasoned. They’ve been through this. They have older guys in their lineup. That’s what’s different. The maturity part of that is a really big deal because you’re continuing to learn and get better. When you’re facing lineups like that, you need to make sure that your pitching is on point. You guys know that we have a lot of injuries and illnesses that we’re dealing with. The guys that we have going out there just need to continue to get better and give our offense a chance to get going.”

Sophomore OF Jacob Schoenvogel
On the energy in the locker room…
“Everyone has trust in everyone. We all want the guy to our left and to our right to succeed just as much as we want ourselves to succeed, sometimes it’s even more. Yeah, we’ve been through a rough patch or two, but we’re all pushing for one another to win. There’s been times when it hasn’t gone our way and it is what it is. We are still pushing for one another to succeed.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (21-22, 4-13) looks to salvage the series against No. 9 Texas Tech (31-15, 11-6) on Sunday at Baylor Ballpark. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)