Baylor Baseball Drops Series Finale at No. 10 Texas

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 24 17:56:04 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 24, 2022

Baylor BSB Drops Series Finale at No. 10 Texas
Longhorns sweep series with a 13-4 victory on Sunday

AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor baseball (20-20, 4-11) fell 13-4 to No. 10 Texas (30-13, 9-6) in Sunday’s series finale at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

Kyle Nevin hit his team-leading eighth home run of the season for the Bears, but the Longhorns hit five homers as a team, completing the series sweep with another high-powered offensive performance.

BU got on the scoreboard first, as Jack Pineda doubled off the base of the center field wall and later came around to score on a passed ball. However, UT responded with three runs in the bottom half and added a fourth in the second to go ahead 4-1.

That’s when Nevin got ahold of one and drove it out of the ballpark, cutting the Texas lead in half at 4-2 in the top of the third. In the bottom of the fourth, UT plated three runs to extend its lead to 7-2, and further increased the tally to 9-2 in the fifth with another pair.

Baylor threatened in the sixth, scoring two runs via a passed ball and a Harrison Caley RBI infield single. A pair of walks loaded the bases for Pineda, who drove a would-be grand slam to deep left-center that was caught on the warning track for the final out of the inning.

Texas added one in the bottom of the sixth, but Henry Cone worked a scoreless seventh frame for the Bears to hold it at 10-4 through seven. Command issues resulted in a trio of runs for the Longhorns in the eighth, moving the total to 13-4, and BU left the bases loaded in the top of the ninth as Texas finished it out.

NOTES
• Baylor extended its streak to 19 games in a row with at least one extra-base hit.
• BU has tallied two or more XBH in eight of its last nine games.
• The Bears added to their Big 12-best total of 43 double plays on the year with another two twin killings in the ballgame.
• Kyle Nevin hit his team-leading eighth home run of the season as part of a two-hit day, his 13th of the year.
• Nevin also extended his on-base streak to 20 games and his hitting streak to nine games.
• Jared McKenzie picked up his 14th multi-hit outing of 2022.

STAT OF THE GAME
8 – Kyle Nevin hit his team-leading eighth home run of the season.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On today’s game…
“I thought our offense did a pretty good job. We are about four feet away from making that game a 9-8 game and creating a little bit of chaos. [Pineda] hits a ball to the track and it doesn’t go out. I thought our guys did a pretty good job. It’s unfortunate right now because we’ve lost two starters in the first inning and it puts a pretty high stress level on the bullpen. We’re asking guys to go two or three innings, which sometimes is a bit too much to ask of them. We want them to go out there and have a lot of success. We’re asking a lot of young guys to behave like veterans, and they’re going to get it. This is a great learning experience. As long as they can take something away from this, we should be ok.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (20-20) returns home to Baylor Ballpark for a four-game week, starting with a Tuesday night tilt against Incarnate Word (16-20) at 6:30 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)