No. 10 Texas Takes Series Opener Over Baylor Baseball

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 22 22:59:17 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 22, 2022

No. 10 Texas Takes Series Opener Over Baylor BSB
Bears unable to hold off potent Longhorns offense

AUSTIN, Texas – Baylor baseball (20-18, 4-9) fell at the hands of No. 10 Texas (28-13, 7-6), 20-1, in Friday’s series opener at UFCU Disch-Falk Field in Austin.

Tre Richardson and Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo recorded two hits apiece, but the night belonged to the Longhorns’ offense as UT scored in six of its eight offensive innings.

BU starter Will Rigney exited in the top of the second with an apparent injury after facing just four batters as the Bears were forced to turn to the bullpen early. UT scored three in the second, three in the third and put up a seven-spot in the fourth to take a commanding 11-1 lead.

Texas plated three more in the fifth, one in the sixth, and another three in the seventh to total 20 runs on the night, the most BU has allowed in a single game this year. The Longhorns hit five home runs as part of their offensive performance.

Baylor’s lone run came in the top of the third inning, as Richardson singled in Harrison Caley, who reached base twice via a hit and walk. On the mound, Hambleton Oliver notched a season-high five strikeouts in his three innings of work for the Bears.

NOTES
• Baylor turned one double play to increase its season total to 41, which leads the Big 12 and ranks in the top-five nationally.
• The Bears extended their streak to 17 games in a row with at least one extra-base hit.
• Kyle Nevin extended his on-base streak to 18 games and his hit streak to seven games.
• Tre Richardson recorded his 13th multi-hit game of the season.
• Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo recorded his eighth multi-hit performance of the year.
• Hambleton Oliver struck out a season-high five batters in his three innings pitched.

STAT OF THE GAME
4 – Baylor starter Will Rigney faced just four batters before exiting the game with an injury.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On tonight’s game…
“I thought it started off really well, we were hitting some balls hard and getting some guys in some good spots. We scored early, but when Will [Rigney] goes down in the second inning, it’s not exactly how you draw it up having to get into the bullpen early. We didn’t make a lot of quality pitches and that became kind of frustrating. It’s a great learning experience. I hope our guys take something from it. Once we get done tonight after dinner, just have to make sure we wash it off and come back tomorrow ready to go with a lot of energy.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor (20-18, 4-9) looks to even the series against the No. 10 Longhorns (28-13, 7-6) on Saturday, April 23, at 1 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)