Baylor Softball Shuts Out Texas Tech, 1-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 22 22:13:55 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 22, 2022

Baylor Softball Shuts Out Texas Tech, 1-0
Bears’ Orme pitches complete-game shutout
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor softball shut out Texas Tech, 1-0, Friday night in the series opener at Getterman Stadium.

The Bears rallied behind starting pitcher Dariana Orme, who pitched her second complete game in a matter of four days, as she held the Red Raider offense to just two hits while striking out five.

As three Bears recorded hits tonight, the first came in the bottom of the first when Ana Watson laid down a perfect bunt to the pitcher. Sydney Collazos singled in the next inning, moving Aliyah Binford over to third after she walked and stole second.

After Baylor threatened in the second, both teams were retired in order in the third before a run in the fourth inning gave the Bears the 1-0 advantage. Josie Bower singled, stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by the Red Raiders before Binford walked to put runners on the corners. Bower came home on a wild pitch and scored the only run of the night.

Texas Tech had chances again in the fifth and sixth innings, but the Bears capitalized off of Orme’s pitching and the defense to hold the Red Raiders scoreless.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Dariana Orme pitched her seventh complete game this season, second this week
  *   Orme improved to 11-10 on the season, only allowing two hits
  *   Three different Bears recorded hits
  *   Baylor picked up its 9th shutout this season, the most since 2018
  *   The Bears are on a four-game win streak
  *   Ana Watson is on a 10-game hitting streak

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on Orme’s pitching…
“Putting up zeroes, it’s hard to ask any more out of her. I thought she was good. Coach (Britni) Newman called a great game, and she responded to it. Early on, I thought she was throwing too many pitches. I’m always like that. I’m highly critical of throwing three-ball counts, although she doesn’t walk many. She does come back. I think an area she will improve in to make her go to another level is being able to get rid of batters quicker and not go so deep in the count. I was very impressed with her to put up that many zeroes.”

Dariana Orme on her game…
“I think we’re in the part of our season where we’ve worked up to it. My endurance is ready. We’ve been working for that. When I’m in the circle, I’m not even thinking about how many pitches I’ve thrown. I’m like, go pound the zone for my team.”

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>