Baylor Softball Takes Down Kansas, 4-3

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 9 17:54:19 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 9, 2022

Baylor Softball Takes Down Kansas, 4-3
Bears seventh inning run secures win
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
LAWRENCE, Kan. – Baylor softball’s seventh-inning run gave the Bears the 4-3 lead and the win to secure the series win over the Jayhawks Saturday afternoon at Arrocha Ballpark.

BU got on the board first tonight, plating a run in the first inning. McKenzie Wilson started things off with a single through the left side and then promptly stole second. On a single to center field from Josie Bower, Wilson came home to score from second.

Ana Watson, who went 2-for-2 tonight with a hit by pitch, singled in the second inning but that was all for the Bears.

Starting pitcher Dariana Orme shut the Jayhawks down in order to close out the second and picked up two strikeouts.

After a quiet inning from both sides in the third, Kansas plated three runs in the bottom of the fourth to take the 3-1 lead on a passed ball and a double.

Not going down without a fight, the Bears answered in the top of the fifth with singles from Watson and Rhein Trochim that put two on with one out. Wilson then doubled to centerfield clearing the bases and knotting the game at 3-3.

Orme recorded another 1-2-3 inning in the bottom of the fifth. Both teams had runners on in the sixth but the game stayed tied going into the final inning.

With one out, Hott singled to centerfield to get things started in the seventh. After Bower was hit by a pitch, Aliyah Binford reached on a fielder’s choice that scored Hott from third with a sliding play at home to give Baylor the 4-3 advantage.

A three-up, three-down bottom of the seventh closed out the game and secured the Bears second win over the Jayhawks.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Dariana Orme recorded up seven strikeouts and pitched her fifth complete game this season
  *   McKenzie Wilson went 2-for-4 at the plate with two RBI, a stolen base and a double
  *   Emily Hott went 2-for-4 at the plate, recording the game-winning run
  *   Ana Watson was 2-for-2 at the plate, reaching base in all three at bats
  *   Six different Bears recorded a hit, out-hitting the Jayhawks 9-6
  *   The Bears secure their first conference-series win this season

TOP QUOTES
Glenn Moore on the game…
“Winning a series is big, especially on the road. We expected Kansas to put up this kind of fight but I also expected us to fight, we have all year. Each win helps reestablish our confidence and tomorrow is just as important.

- BaylorBears.com -

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>