No. 4 Baylor MT Sweeps No. 44 Oklahoma State, 7-0

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Fri Apr 8 22:08:27 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 8, 2022

No. 4 Baylor MT Sweeps No. 44 Oklahoma State, 7-0
Bears rout the Cowboys highlighted by Lah and Boitan’s wins
contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 4 Baylor men’s tennis routed No. 44 Oklahoma State under the lights on Friday night at the Hurd Tennis Center, winning 7-0 over the Cowboys.

The match was highlighted by senior Sven Lah’s 100th career singles win as well as Adrian Boitan’s battle on court one for his 16th-straight victory.

The Bears (20-3, 2-1 Big 12) are now 10-1 at home after taking the win over the Cowboys (11-8, 0-2 Big 12).

BU stretches its win streak against OSU to five in a row, three being sweeps.

THE RUNDOWN
Baylor started out hot and put OSU’s 14-consecutive doubles point wins to a stop, taking it for itself on courts two and three. Court two finished first, with No. 21-ranked Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi and Matias Soto winning, 6-3, over Alex Garcia and Maxim Verboven. Clinching the point on court three were Adrian Boitan and Tadeas Paroulek, winning 6-2 over Leighton Allen and Joseph Chen. No. 4-ranked Finn Bass and Sven Lah went unfinished at 4-4 with No. 26 pair Sebastian Nothhaft and Tyler Zink on court one.

Grassi Mazzuchi and Soto improve to 16-4, all on court two, while Boitan and Paroulek improve to 11-4 and are 10-4 on court three. Lah and Bass remain 9-6 with the unfinished match.

Starting out in singles was No. 121 Paroulek, besting Allen on court five with a straight-set 6-0, 6-0 match. Keeping it going was Grassi Mazzuchi on court six, taking the match 6-1, 6-1, over Chen to put the Bears up, 3-0. Clinching the match was No. 38 Soto on court two, winning 6-4, 6-4, over Garcia.

Finishing out the match were courts three, four and one. No. 73 Lah fought and won 6-1, 7-6(7) over Verboven on court three for his 100th career singles win. Next came No. 114 Bass on court four, besting Nothhaft, 7-5, 6-7(5), 10-5, to take it and make the match 6-0. On court one, 4th-ranked Boitan had a grueling battle with Zink, taking it to the brink. He bested the Cowboy, 6-7(2), 6-4, 10-8 to finish the match and put another tick in the win column for the Bears.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Michael Woodson
“There were so many reasons to be distracted today for these guys and they buckled down and did a good job of getting on top of them early in doubles and in singles. The competitive energy was interesting, there were a lot of families here, parents, we were playing former teammates and guys from Baylor we love dearly and want to see them be successful themselves. It was a little unusual but I thought we did a good job of putting some distance between us throughout the match overall as a team. There were some really competitive matches. It was great to see Sven get over the hump there at the end, I know that’s getting the monkey off his back with 100 wins so he can relax and play now. To win a couple of competitive, 10-point breakers is exactly what these guys need. We need to continue to compete, be pushed, and try to get better every day. A great crowd; it was a lot of fun and beautiful weather and we’re excited to do it again one more time for the regular season here on Sunday for the seniors.”

QUOTABLE – Senior Sven Lah
“

QUOTABLE – Junior Adrian Boitan
“It was a really tough match, credit to Tyler [Zink]. He really showed up today and put up a fight. I really had to bring my best at the end to close it. I’m happy I’m still undefeated and I hope to compete that way Sunday as well.”

BETTY BRYANT
Between the final of the women’s match and the start of the men’s, the programs celebrated the life of longtime supporter and Baylor alumnae, Betty Rogers Bryant, with her family at the Hurd Tennis Center. Her generosity and dedication to the program helped propel Baylor tennis to where they are today. The men’s and women’s teams will sport stickers with her initials on their racquets throughout the month of April.

NEXT UP
The Bears keep the home slate rolling with a Sunday match against Oklahoma, set for 2 p.m. at the Hurd.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor men’s tennis, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorMTennis.

TENNIS RESULTS
#4 Baylor (7) vs. # Oklahoma State (0)
Waco, Texas – Hurd Tennis Center
Big 12 Conference Match
SINGLES COMPETITION
1. #15 Adrian Boitan (BU) def. Tyler Zink (OSU) 6-7(2), 6-4, 10-8
2. #50 Matias Soto (BU) def. Alex Garcia (OSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. #31 Sven Lah (BU) def. Maxim Verboven (OSU) 7-5, 6-7(5), 10-5
4. Finn Bass (BU) def. Sebastian Nothhaft (OSU) 7-5, 6-7(5), 10-5
5. Tadeas Paroulek (BU) def. Leighton Allen (OSU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi (BU) def. Joseph Chen (OSU) 6-1, 6-1

Order of finish: 5, 6, 2, 3, 4, 1

DOUBLES COMPETITION
1. #30 Sven Lah/Finn Bass (BU) vs. #26 Sebastian Nothhaft/Tyler Zink (OSU) 4-4 unfinished
2. Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi/Matias Soto (BU) vs. Alex Garcia/Alex Verboven (OSU) 6-3
3. Adrian Boitan/Tadeas Paroulek (BU) vs. Leighton Allen/Joseph Chen (OSU) 6-2

Order of finish: 2, 3

- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)