Baylor XC Travels to Mizzou for Gans Creek Classic

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Thu Sep 30 13:03:25 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 30, 2021

Baylor XC Travels to Mizzou for Gans Creek Classic
Men’s 8K will begin at 9 a.m. CT, followed by women’s 6K at 9:45 a.m. CT

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country is back on the road for the Gans Creek Classic Friday at the Gans Creek XC Course in Columbia, Mo.

“We’re going to race against some fresh faces,” cross country head coach David Barnett said. “There are going to be some Big 12 schools that we’re familiar with. There are also some SEC schools and some smaller schools that have really great distance programs.”

The women’s team will be running in the invitational 6K and will feature Ellie Friesen, Chloe Gangnath, Hayden Gold, Celia Holmes, Lily Jacobs, Mazie Larsen, Jordan Ledington, Isabella Prosceno, Devon Vopni and Alaina Zamorano. The Bears will be competing against Belmont, Bradley, Creighton, Drake, Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Murray State, Nebraska-Omaha, North Florida, Northern Iowa, Saint Louis, Texas A&M, Western Illinois and Wichita State.

“On the women’s side, it will be the first time that we’ve put together our top five,” Barnett said. “We’re going to be racing Ellie, Lily, Celia, Hayden. A lot of the freshmen are going to be in the mix. Chloe is going to be in the mix. It’s a good group. We’re racing one of our new freshmen, Alaina Zamorano, for the first time. Hopefully, the women can progress from where they’ve been racing. I feel like practice has been going well and they’ve been making some logical steps, so hopefully we can put it together on a great course up there in Missouri.”

On the men’s side, the Bears are taking Alec Atteberry, Ryan Day, Ryan Hodge, Chris Martinez, Philip Roxas and Drew Snyder to run in the invitational 8K. Competing teams will include Belmont, Bradley, Chicago State, Creighton, Drake, Iowa, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Murray State, North Florida, Northern Iowa, Saint Louis, Texas A&M, Western Illinois and Wichita State.

“The guys are taking a small squad, but I feel like it’s a quality squad,” Barnett said. “Once again, it’s the first time we’re having our top-5 all together. Ryan Day will be opening up, his first race of the season. We’ll have Ryan Hodge, followed up by Drew Snyder, Chris Martinez and Philip Roxas, as well as Alec Atteberry. At the end of the day, we need five guys competing really well. It’s a big step in the right direction for conference since it’s a very similar course.”

The men’s 8K will begin at 9 a.m. CT, followed by the women’s 6K at 9:45 a.m. CT. Live results will be provided by Prime Time Timing<https://live.pttiming.com/XC-PTT.html?mid=2364>, and the meet will be streamed live on YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCol8G5y0DsfnXxBM0y-zf0w/videos>.

“We want to compete against the people we can compete against,” Barnett said. “Hopefully, our top people can mix it up in the top-25 and make the most of the opportunity on the race course to get an idea of where we stand one month out from Big 12s.”

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>