SOC Takes Down No. 8 TCU, 2-1

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Sun Sep 26 16:48:28 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 26, 2021

SOC Takes Down No. 8 TCU, 2-1
First win over a ranked opponent since No.5 Kansas on Oct. 9 2020
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
FORT WORTH, Texas – Baylor has taken down No. 8 TCU to start the season 2-0. TCU has only lost to one other opponent this season before the Bears handed them their second loss.

The game started out with TCU getting off the first two shots before Mackenzie Anthony was able to get a shot off in the 9th minute. Following up quickly was Taylor Moon who had a good look on an assist from Maddie Algya and placed the ball in the goal to go up 1-0 in the 13th minute.

The rest of the first half fell silent for both teams with the Bears finishing the first half with only five shots to the Horned Frogs 10 but had the advantage into halftime.

The Bears came out in the second half with the same fight they had to start the game. Within five minutes of the second half Baylor was on the board again. After a shot from Anthony was saved by the TCU goalkeeper, a Baylor corner kick ended with a shot from Moon before the ball landed before Elizabeth Kooimnan. With her second goal this season, Kooiman blasted one into the upper right corner of the net to put the bears up 2-0l.

Holding the bears scoreless until the 83rd minute was goalkeeper Jennifer Wandt and the Baylor back line. Wandt recorded seven saves in the game setting a new season high. TCU got off six shots in the last 23 minutes with four of them being saved by Wandt. She also picked up career win No. 50 moving her to the sole position atop the Baylor all-time career saves category.

The two goals Baylor scored in today’s game is the most allowed by the Horned Frogs all season.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   First win against a ranked opponent since No. 5 Kansas Oct. 9, 2020
  *   Jennifer Wandt picked up career win 50, placing her in the sole spot atop the Baylor all-time category
  *   Elizabeth Kooiman records her second goal this season
  *   Taylor Moons second straight game with a goal.
  *   Baylor’s two goals are the most TCU has allowed this season
  *   Back-to-back wins over two of the top three preseason Big 12 favorites

STAT OF THE GAME
1 – First win over a ranked opponent this season, first time since Oct. 9 2020 against No. 5 Kansas
2 – Most goals allowed by TCU this season

TOP QUOTES
Paul Jobson on the game…
“To go on the road and get two wins in conference play is a testament to the team we are becoming. I thought we executed our game plan really well and capitalized on the chances we had. Great start the Big 12 play.”

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>