SOC Defeats SFA 3-0

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Thu Sep 16 22:33:56 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 16, 2021

SOC Defeats SFA 3-0
Kooiman, Anthony, and Japic Combine for Three Goals Tonight
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – The Texans were dominate tonight defeating the Lumberjacks in a 3-0 shutout. Mackenzie Anthony, Chloe Japic, and Elizabeth Kooiman all capitalized on advantages to lift Baylor to the win.

Getting things started tonight was Mackenzie Anthony, who has scored five goals so far this season, sailed one into the net after a perfect assist from Kooiman in the 19th minute. The headed ball was lined up directly to the left of the Lumberjacks goalkeeper who got her hands on the ball but wasn’t able to deflect the goal. The Bears got off 14 total shots in the first half.

In the 27th minute, Maddie Algya dials up Chloe Japic to give the Bear the 2-0 advantage that they would take into halftime. Japic had to redirect the pass from Algya and line it up to squeeze the sliding Lumberjack goalkeeper.

The Bears showed no signs of slowing down after halftime recording 10 more shots for a total of 24 on the night compared to SFA’s seven. Baylor ended tonight with eleven shots on goal.

Kooiman who has been dominate on the field all season was bound to have a goal fall her way tonight and it did in the 57th minute. After a corner kick from Ally Henderson-Ashkinos, Kooiman sets up behind the ball and sends on home. This was Kooimans first goal of the season as she is barely trailing Anthony for total shots this season with 22.

Jenn Wandt who only had to make two saves tonight after just two shots on goal from SFA, picks up career shutout 35.

Fans saw lots of new and old faces on the field tonight as Taylor Moon made a start tonight after missing the past few games. Chloe Brown and Giuliana Cunningham each saw the field tonight after only playing in one other game so far this season. Brown had two shots and one shot on goal for the Bears. Madeline Bryant, Sophie Wilson, Haven Terry, Kate Zimmerman, and Lorelai Stramrood also played minutes tonight.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Elizabeth Kooiman records first goal of the season and picks up another assist leading the Bears with three total
  *   Jennifer Wandt tallied her 35th career shutout, third so far this season
  *   Mackenzie Anthony picked up another goal, season total is now five
  *   Ally Henderson-Ashkinos now has two assists on the season
  *   Maddie Algya Records her first assist of the season
  *   Taylor Moon was back in the starting lineup after three games

STAT OF THE GAME
1 – The first goal of the season for Elizabeth Kooiman
35 – Number of career shutouts for Jennifer Wandt

TOP QUOTES
Paul Jobson on the game…
“Yeah, I thought first half we were good. I wanted to come out second half and be a little bit sharper with our passing. I thought we were giving away some pretty easy passes in some dangerous areas. I don’t think we came out extremely sharp in the second half, but at the end of the day that’s going to be a good team. They’re going to be a big-time contender in our conference. Our team is dangerous enough to put some points on the board which we saw with some opportunities, but at the end of the day we won. I am proud of that. You have to be a team that can win games and they did that, but I think moving forward we are going to have to be a little bit sharper.”

Elizabeth Kooiman on what worked tonight…
“Tonight, I would say 1v1 option was on. It was definitely good to get the first goal in the back of the net, [and] hopefully break the gates a little bit. It was just good to score.”

Jennifer Wandt on the shutout...
"The team made it easy on me tonight. Our defense was rock solid, and our midfield and forwards helped a lot. We played a lot of team defense, so I didn't have to do much. It's nice for the team to get a shutout and get a nice 3-0 win."

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>