MT REMINDER: Baylor tennis hosting outreach program event Thursday

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:26:13 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 15, 2021

TENNIS TOWN
Bryan Brothers Farewell Tour Kicking off Outreach Program
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

By Jerry Hill
Baylor Bear Insider
                In one of the biggest tennis events in Waco since Baylor hosted the 2015 NCAA Championship, brothers Bob and Mike Bryan will make a stop on their farewell tour at the Hurd Tennis Center on Thursday to help kick off the Bush ACE Outreach Program in Waco.
                Along with 2021 U.S. Open doubles semifinalist Sam Querrey and 1993 French Open doubles champion Murphy Jensen, the Bryan brothers will play in a pro-am from 2-4 p.m., followed by a kids’ clinic at 5 p.m., then an exhibition match at 7 that will include players off an NCAA runner-up Baylor tennis team that won two Big 12 titles last year.
                “We are basically introducing the Bush ACE Outreach Program to help build tennis in Waco,” Baylor men’s tennis head coach Michael Woodson said. “There are schools in our community that don’t have access to equipment, coaching, opportunity.
“We’ve been working with Waco High and different schools, trying to see what we can do to move the need. How do we get kids involved in tennis at a younger age? The George W. Bush Foundation is President Bush’s legacy, so he has put a lot of resources into starting this foundation to infiltrate communities of need with resources to grow the game.”
Initially scheduled for 2020, the event had to be moved because of the COVID pandemic. But it was “kind of the perfect thing,” Woodson said, with the Bryan brothers retiring this year and doing their farewell tour through Texas.
The Bryans were ranked No. 1 in the world for 139-consecutive weeks and won 16 Grand Slam doubles titles, together, the last one coming at the 2018 U.S. Open. Currently ranked 78th in the world in singles, Querrey has been a giant killer by knocking off three No. 1-ranked players, including Novak Djokovic to reach the Wimbledon quarterfinals in 2016.
Jensen has been retired since 2006, but he formed one of the most dynamic doubles tandems in the world with his older brother, Luke Jensen, and is now the head coach of the Washington Kastles of World Team Tennis.
“Murphy is really good with pro-ams and exhibitions and the kids’ clinic, which I think is the most important piece for us,” Woodson said.
There are two of eight spots still available for the Great8 Patrons’ pro-am event, with a minimum donation of $500 to the Bush ACE Outreach Program. Contact Tim Stallard at 512-576-4696 or tim at bushcentertennis.org<mailto:tim at bushcentertennis.org> to become a Great8 Patron or get more information.
“That’s an insane amount, that’s a great deal to play with the Bryan brothers for two hours,” Woodson said.
The pro-am will include the Bryans, Querrey, Jensen and four Baylor players paired with one of the patrons.
Open to everyone, the cost of the clinic is $20, “but they also have the opportunity to cover it if you can’t afford it,” Woodson said. “We really want to open this up to all the kids in Waco.”
Teams can register for the clinic by calling Sandra at 903-316-0293 or through email at sandra at bushtenniscenter.org<mailto:sandra at bushtenniscenter.org>. Everyone attending the clinic will get a free ticket to the Green vs. Gold Challenge exhibition matches at 7 p.m.
General admission price for the exhibition matches is $35, with VIP courtside tables for four available for $375, which includes an invitation to a pre-event meet and greet. Tickets are available at www.etix.com<http://www.etix.com> or by calling 1-800-514-3849.
Woodson said it’s a “great opportunity” for some of his student-athletes to play with and against the Bryan brothers, Querrey and Jensen.
“Even just to spend some time with them in the afternoon, talking about their experiences and giving them advice for the future,” Woodson said, “I think it’s a special opportunity.”
To become a Great8 Patron or for additional information, please contact Tim Stallard
at (
- BaylorBears.com -

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)