Baylor Baseball Topples Rangers IL Team, 6-0

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Oct 28 22:48:38 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 28, 2021

BSB Topples Rangers IL Team, 6-0
Bears trio holds Rangers to three hits in combined 12-inning shutout

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball defeated the Texas Rangers Instructional League Team 6-0 Thursday night at Baylor Ballpark.

Three BU pitchers combined to hold the Rangers to just three hits in the 12-inning shutout.

Senior transfer right-hander Jake Jackson was sharp for the Bears, starting on the bump and going five scoreless innings with seven strikeouts. He was backed by Esteban Cardoza-Oquendo’s third-inning RBI single, which gave Baylor a 1-0 lead, before turning the ball over to Matt Voelker.

After Jared McKenzie tripled in the sixth, Kyle Nevin scored him with a base knock that made it 2-0. That tally would hold through the 12th, as Voelker and fellow transfer Brett Garcia kept the Rangers in check.

Baylor broke it open in the bottom of the 12th inning as seven consecutive batters reached on four hits, two errors and a walk. Tre Richardson drove home a pair with a triple and was subsequently chased in on a double from Nevin. Beau Wimpee and Kobe Andrade each collected hits in the inning, while Cortlan Castle and Jacob Schoenvogel crossed the plate for the Bears before the final frame was called due to pitch count.

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On tonight’s game…
“It was great to get our guys out here and play against another team. I was just really happy with the way our pitchers pounded the zone and the defense we played was really good. It was exciting to watch our guys go out there in a moment like this with a lot of fans, which was great, and play the way we did.”

Senior RHP Jake Jackson
On his performance and Baylor debut…
“It was awesome. I just decided to go out there and attack. I knew going into it that they wanted to swing, so I attacked with the fastball and used the offspeed. We’ve been competing all fall against each other, so it was good to finally get out against somebody else. Playing pro ball guys and getting that experience was an awesome opportunity.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor continues its fall slate with Alumni Day festivities on Oct. 29-30 before hosting Air Force for an exhibition on Sunday, Nov. 7 at Baylor Ballpark.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)