No. 11 Baylor VB Sweeps West Virginia, 3-0

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 22 20:51:11 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 22, 2021

No. 11 VB Sweeps West Virginia, 3-0
Bears led by Yossiana Pressley with 17 kills
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

MORGANTOWN, W. Va. – No. 11 Baylor volleyball swept West Virginia on Friday evening in WVU Coliseum, though it was a grind for the Bears.

BU improved to 12-4 and 6-1 on the season after defeating the Mountaineers (13-5, 3-4) in three sets, going 26-24, 25-20, and 25-22.

Baylor had a nearly 20-kill performance out of Yossiana Pressley (17) and a double-double night from Avery Skinner (10k, 14d) for the win. Hannah Sedwick was one dig away from a double-double with her 34 assists.

Elise McGhee and Kara McGhee both had three total blocks on the night while Preslie Anderson had two.

HOW IT HAPPENED
Set One
A pair of failed serves gave the first points to both teams, but it was a dump by Hannah Sedwick that really got it started for Baylor. The Mountaineers showed their hunger and put up some points of their own to tie it at 4-4. Sedwick produced another tip to make it 8-8. WVU pulled ahead to 14-10 and head coach McGuyre called a timeout. Emphatic kills from Avery Skinner and Yossiana Pressley helped them lessen the gap to 17-14, but WVU had some fire about them. A Pressley tip surprised the Mountaineers and brought the Bears to 19-16, West Virginia still leading. Kills from Skinner and Elise McGhee helped close the gap even more to 22-21. A solo block from Preslie Anderson tied the set at 23-all. Set point for WVU came and went with Pressley dishing out another kill. The set went to the Bears at 26-24 with back-to-back attack errors from WVU.

Set Two
Baylor started the set off right with the lead, and pushed it to 6-2 where WVU took a timeout. Elise McGhee recorded another kill within that stretch, and Skinner kept up her own good work. The Bears kept rolling, with Pressley recording a kill then following it up with an ace. Anderson made it 15-5 and forced a timeout from the Mountaineers. The Bears went on a 6-1 run to make it 19-6. WVU started to make some moves and upped the score to 22-18, going on a six-point run to respond. Bears took the set 25-20 despite the Mountaineer push back.

Set Three
BU started it off with a kill from Skinner and then went on a roll, but WVU caught up. Baylor went on a 3-0 scoring run to make it 11-7. Pressley recorded a solo block and so did Anderson. West Virginia showed some fight and started answering Baylor’s every point. At 11-12, BU called timeout to regroup. The Bears and Mountaineers continued trading points, staying just one or two within each other. A kill from Pressley put the Bears at 20 points and WVU called timeout at 21-18. Pressley and Sedwick both had kills paired with a service error, two Mountaineer kills and a Marieke van der Mark block to make it 24-22. WVU had another kill coming out of a timeout, but a kill by Skinner finished the match at 25-22.

BEAR BITES

  *   Baylor is 19-3 all-time against West Virginia and leads the series in Morgantown, 8-1.
  *   The Bears are 72-31 under Ryan McGuyre in Big 12 matches and 214-393 in conference play overall.
  *   BU is on a five-match winning streak and has won 11 out of the last 12 matches.

QUOTABLE – Head Coach Ryan McGuyre
“A very good West Virginia team, the best West Virginia team I’ve seen since I’ve been at Baylor. I think they’re a tournament team and they have a lot of wins on the year, including some Big Ten wins. On the road you want to get in and out as soon as possible, so I thought our ability to hang tight enough in the first set and steal that there at the end was important for us for this match. Definitely we were in control for the second set, but we needed to finish stronger. We kind of made the third set a little bit closer than it needed to be. Overall, just thought we were good in all areas but not great in a single one, so we want to be sharper and cleaner in all ways in our match tomorrow.”

Saturday’s matchup against the Mountaineers is set for 4 p.m. CT and will be streamed on Big 12 Now on ESPN+. Final stats and a full recap will be available on BaylorBears.com after the conclusion of the match.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVball.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)