SOC Battled No. 25 Texas, Records 0-0 Draw

Gilmore, Katy Katy_Gilmore at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 15 22:48:46 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 15, 2021

SOC Battled No. 25 Texas, Records 0-0 Draw
Baylor shut down the Texas offense tonight
For more information contact: Katy Gilmore, 254-252-2182, katy_gilmore at baylor.edu<mailto:katy_gilmore at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor and Texas battled it out for the top spot in the conference Friday night drawing a 0-0 overtime draw. The Bears held the Longhorns scoreless after an eight-game streak of scoring a goal.

The first half showed just how physical and tough the game would be with a back-and-forth between the teams to start the half. As Baylor found its rhythm, they ended up winning a lot of balls and controlled most of the minutes to start the game. Back-to-back corner kicks in the21st and 23rd minutes saw Baylor pushing back at the Longhorn defense but no balls found the net. The first half saw three shots on goal for the Bears on looks from Maddie Algya, Sarah Hornyak, and Olivia Mack.

The second half Texas struggled in the midfield a little bit allowing Baylor to capitalize on winning balls and Ava Colberg contributed to a lot of those. Colberg also got a shot off in the 75th minute that proved to be the closest of the night, sailing to the top middle of the goal before it was barely booted away by the Texas goalkeeper. Trying to stop this game from going to overtime, Texas took two shots in 85th and 87th minute but weren’t able to capitalize.

Baylor only got one shot off in the first overtime on a good look from Sarah Hornyak. Proving how dominant the Baylor back line and goalkeeper Jennifer Wandt were tonight, the Longhorns got off seven shots in the midst of both overtimes but weren’t able to find the net.

The Bears shut down some of the most dominant offensive players in the nation, including Texas’ Trinity Byers who was on an eight-game scoring streak. Baylor was also able to record eight shots on goal tonight to the Longhorns four, although Texas out shot Baylor 20-14.

Wandt, only had to record four saves tonight as the no-goal patrol (otherwise known as the Baylor back line) took care of the rest of the attempts.

Eight Baylor starters played all 110 minutes in tonight’s match. Playing quality minutes off the bench were Olivia Mack, Giuliana Cunningham, and Chloe Brown.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor recorded eight shots on goal
  *   The Baylor back line shut down the Longhorn offense after they were on an eight-game scoring streak
  *   Sarah Hornyak and Taylor Moon each had three shots
  *   Jennifer Wandt recorded four saves

STAT OF THE GAME
8 – The number of shots on goal the Bears had tonight
TOP QUOTES
Paul Jobson on the game…
“I thought we executed our game plan really, really well. We were solid defensively. This is probably the most prolific threesome in the country, that we actually shut down tonight. I thought we did a great job with that. We sacrificed a little bit of our attack to be able to do that, but I still thought we were real explosive in the attack, had some great opportunities. It didn’t kill our attack, but I thought we had some great opportunities moving forward. Solid defensively, had some great attacking opportunities, just didn’t fall our way tonight as far as getting it in the back of the net.  But we’ll take the result, I guess.”

Ava Colberg on team defense…
“The whole team definitely stepped up. I feel like we were there at most every ball. Our backline [and] Jen is amazing. I thought we did really good defensively.”

Jennifer Wandt on defensive performance…
“We played great team defense tonight, especially the backline. I mean everyone, but the backline just played rock solid. Ava and Sarah Hornyak on the outsides played great, and then obviously Kayley and Norman have been solid for us in the middle day in and day out. It was such a team defensive effort. I was just so happy to be a part of it.”

Katy Gilmore | Associate Director of Athletic Communications

[cidimage002.png at 01D79F3C.9D2300D0]<http://baylorbears.com/>