Baylor XC Treks to College Station for Arturo Barrios Invitational

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 15 11:37:40 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 15, 2021

Baylor XC Treks to College Station for Arturo Barrios Invitational
The field at Texas A&M will feature 36 men’s teams and 38 women’s teams

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – Baylor cross country will travel to College Station for its final tune-up before conference Saturday at the Arturo Barrios Invitational at Dale Watts Cross Country Course.

“I’m definitely looking forward to it,” head cross country coach David Barnett said. “It’s going to be the biggest race we’ve been in so far with over 30 teams competing. I think our men and women are really starting to turn the corner. I thought at Missouri, we had three people on both sides that ran really well, and we’re hoping to increase that number this weekend. It’s a familiar course for us, and we’re looking forward to the challenge.”

The field at Texas A&M will feature 36 men’s teams and 38 women’s teams, with the men’s 8K kicking things off at 9 a.m. CT, followed by the women’s 6K at 9:45 a.m. CT.

Competing for the women’s team will be Ellie Friesen, Chloe Gangnath, Hayden Gold, Celie Jackson, Lily Jacobs, Mazie Larsen, Jordan Ledington, Isabella Prosceno, Cate Urbani, Devon Vopni and Alaina Zamorano.

“The majority of our women’s team is traveling this week,” Barnett said. “The majority of our top-five will be racing, and it will be good for them to put it together and see where we are.”

The men’s team will feature Ryan Day, Ryan Hodge, Kade Hulett, Chris Martinez, Philip Roxas, Drew Snyder and Beau Thomason.

“On the men’s side, our entire top-five will be racing,” Barnett said. “It will be good to see them make some improvements from Missouri.”

Live results from the Arturo Barrios Invitational will be provided by Flash Results<https://flashresults.com/2022_Meets/xc/ArturoBarriosInvitational/index.htm>.

“With 30+ teams, there are certainly 10-15 really quality teams in the field,” Barnett said. “Some are coming from our region, but they are coming from all over. It will be good to race against some familiar and unfamiliar faces. The people that we have been close to in the past few weeks, we definitely want to jump ahead of. There are going to be some familiar foes that we maybe got edged by that we’re trying to beat. The people we’ve been ahead of, we want to stay ahead of. It will be a great field for us to compete against.”

Following the meet at A&M, the Big 12 Championships loom next on Oct. 29 in Stillwater, Okla.

“Our focus is on this weekend,” Barnett said. “On the men’s and the women’s side, we’re relying on some freshmen. For freshmen making the jump to 6K and 8K, it takes 2-3 races to kind of get the hang of it. This will be our third race at the full race distance, so I’m really hoping to see some of the freshmen step up and feel a lot more comfortable racing and compete at a high level.”

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>