Baylor WT Completes H-E-B Invitational

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sun Oct 3 12:54:15 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 3, 2021

WT Completes H-E-B Invitational
Baylor defeated Texas A&M in singles action
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Baylor women’s tennis finished the H-E-B Invitational Sunday morning at the Hurd Tennis Center.

For the first time all weekend, the Bears dropped the doubles point against Arkansas. Brooke Thompson, who played with Arizona’s Salma Ziouti, won on the third court, 6-2. Mel Krywoj and Ana Carmen Zamburek dropped a close one on court one, 6-4, while Paula Barañano and Olivia Malm fell, 6-3, on court two.

In singles, Thompson made quick work of her opponent, Elise Robbins of Texas A&M, with the 6-4, 6-3 win. Malm also won her match in straight sets, 6-2, 7-5.

Barañano fought back after dropping the first set to win her match by a score of 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7).

Ana Carmen Zamburek battled to record her first career singles victory with a 7-6 (3), 7-5 win over Isa Di Laura.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Olivia Malm led the Bears on the weekend with three singles wins. She battled to pick up her third win in two sets on Sunday.
  *   Brooke Thompson picked up her second singles win on the weekend.
  *   Malm, Thompson and Paula Barañano each finished the weekend with multiple wins in singles.
  *   Ana Carmen Zamburek recorded her first career singles victory.

TOP QUOTES
Joey Scrivano on the day…
“I’m just really proud of the ladies. They bounced back really well today. Yesterday was an opportunity to learn, and today (they) just responded so well. Our freshmen are growing quite a bit, you can see. Olivia (Malm) had a really strong week. She has made some really big strides. A.C. (Ana Carmen Zamburek) really battled here in this last match, and I’m really proud of her growth as well. The entire team is doing great, the culture is really healthy and good things are coming our way. We’re excited about the upcoming events this fall.”

www.BaylorBears.com

Krista Pirtle | Associate Director of Athletics Communications

[signature_1415018582]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>