No. 9 VB Defeats Texas Tech, 3-1

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Sat Oct 2 21:59:41 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 2, 2021

No. 9 VB Defeats Texas Tech, 3-1
Bears take Red Raiders in four sets to even the series.
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 9 Baylor volleyball avenged themselves against Texas Tech by defeating the Red Raiders, 3-1, on Saturday night in the Ferrell Center.

After falling to Tech in the first match in a reverse sweep on Friday night, BU was looking for redemption and revenge.

The Bears (8-4, 3-1) defeated TTU (11-6, 1-3) in four sets at 25-13, 23-25, 25-17, 27-25.

Baylor had both Avery Skinner record 22 kills and 10 digs for a double-double, as well as Yossiana Pressley recording 20 kills herself. Hannah Sedwick had 47 assists and both Shanel Bramschreiber and Lauren Briseño had 13 digs to lead the team. Sedwick also led in blocks with eight.

HOW IT HAPPENED
Set One
Emphatically. That’s how the Bears took set one. Baylor came out ready to rumble and did just that, pushing themselves into the double-digit points of the set while leaving Texas Tech in the dust with just five. It was clear early on that Skinner would have a similar night she had the night before as she had three kills in a row toward the beginning of the set. After a media timeout at 16-8, things were heated in Ferrell. Lauren Harrison, Preslie Anderson, Skinner and Yossiana Pressley all helped finish out the set with kills while TTU gave away multiple points on attack errors. The set finished at 25-13.

Set Two
Things started off slightly rocky for the Bears in set two having given so much energy to the first set. TTU put up 14 points with BU still in single-digit scoring. Skinner again went off and had six kills in the set, with Pressley right behind her with five. The Bears clawed back to 24-22 with Texas Tech leading, and though a successful challenge put the bears at 24-23, a kill by a Red Raider ended the set at 25-23.

Set Three
The third set started out on a run for Baylor, scoring five unanswered points with Shanel Bramschreiber serving for four of them. Texas Tech started to catch up and go head-to-head with the Bears, but Baylor continued to pull ahead behind kills from Skinner and Pressley. BU finished the set at 25-17 with a kill by Skinner to tie a bow on it.

Set Four
Baylor went point-for-point with Texas Tech to begin the fourth frame. They fell behind at about the 17-12 mark but Skinner, Pressley and Lauren Harrison helped pull themselves back up. The Bears went on a run, scoring five unanswered to make it 20-18, and then finally tied the Red Raiders at 22-all off an attack error from TTU. Tech scored two, then the Bears started to bear down. Skinner had two kills in a row and then an attack error by Tech put BU at 25-24 and ahead, forcing a Texas Tech timeout. The Red Raiders tied it back up at 25-25, but a Pressley kill and a ball handling error from Tech’s Alex Kirby sealed the deal and won the set at 27-25, Baylor.

BEAR BITES

  *   Avery Skinner had 22 kills while Yossiana Pressley had 20. Both were dominant throughout the match.
  *   Baylor is 69-31 in Big 12 matches under Ryan McGuyre, and BU has a record of 195-269 since entering the conference at its inception.
  *   The matchup with Texas Tech is the second-most played for the Bears at 88 matches, trailing only Texas (91 total matchups).
  *   Baylor has defeated the Red Raiders in 30 of the last 34 matchups.

QUOTABLE – Head coach Ryan McGuyre
“Texas Tech is a great team and a good program. Hats off to them and their fight and how they were getting after it. I thought we throttled them that first set, we were playing well and sharp. I felt serve-receive broke down a little bit and put some challenges on us but glad we could make that comeback. Blocking came alive so we got some good blocks in key moments there. [Yossiana Pressley and Avery Skinner] were pretty much unstoppable down the stretch. If we can give them good balls to hit, they’re going to do great things for us. A great 1-2 punch for us tonight.”

QUOTABLE – Outside hitter Yossiana Pressley
“It felt great to just have that fight. We should have started off a little bit stronger but as the game goes, you just have to roll with the punches. But it felt great to come back from 17-12 and get a win in the fourth set.”

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVball.

Up Next
The Bears hit the road again, but this time within the state lines, facing North Texas on Wednesday, October 6 in Denton where start time is set for 6 p.m.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)