No. 9 Baylor VB Falls to Texas Tech in Five Sets

Allen, Madelon Madelon_Allen at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 1 23:13:48 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – October 1, 2021

No. 9 VB Falls to Texas Tech in Five Sets
Bears look to even this year’s series on Saturday night.
For more information contact: Madelon Allen, 254-252-7168, Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu<mailto:Madelon_Allen at Baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – No. 9 Baylor volleyball fell to Texas Tech after five sets on Friday night in the Ferrell Center, 3-2.

The Bears (7-4, 2-1) were dominant in almost every category over the Red Raiders (11-5), falling short only in serving. The Bears took set one and two at 25-23 and 25-19, but fell in the third, fourth and fifth at 25-22, 25-22, and 18-16.

Baylor finished the night with 71 kills and 178 attacks; the most they’ve had in a single match this season. Hannah Sedwick had 59 assists, also the most she’s had in a match this season, while Avery Skinner recorded 59 receptions without an error and had 27 kills on 65 attacks, both career highs. She had a double-double with her 12 digs, her fifth in her career. Shanel Bramschreiber had a career-high 24 digs as well. Yossiana Pressley's 16 kills meant she had recorded double-digit kills in every match this season and had done it 110 times in her career.

The match felt like it belonged to the Green and Gold all the while, with an electric crowd including an energetic student section. Baylor was dominant through the first two sets, and then Texas Tech started ramping up their game. The Bears fought and battled, but the Red Raiders clawed their way back.

BEAR BITES

  *   The Bears had their highest number of kills (71) and attempts (178) in a single match this season against TTU.
  *   Avery Skinner had 27 kills on 65 attempts, both career highs, along with 59 receptions and 12 digs.
  *   Baylor is 68-31 in Big 12 matches under Ryan McGuyre, and BU has a record of 194-269 since entering the conference at its inception.
  *   The matchup with Texas Tech is the second-most played for the Bears at 87 matches, trailing only Texas (91 total matchups).
  *   Baylor has defeated the Red Raiders in 29 of the last 33 matchups.

QUOTABLE – Head coach Ryan McGuyre
“Hats off to Tech. Credit to them to keep battling and fighting. I thought every set went back and forth. We just made it hard for us to win and get runs with our serves tonight. I was probably most disappointed in how we served. When we’re serving better, it gives our defense a chance to block more balls, dig more balls and transition. Take away some of those free points and maybe we’re in a different situation, but that’s part of the game. We have to do the whole thing. I thought Avery (Skinner) was really coming on strong to finish the match. They served her the whole night and she was passing nails. Really doing a good job keeping us in the system there. We have to do our homework tonight and get back after it tomorrow.”

Former Baylor volleyball standout Katie Smith will be part of the broadcast team along with Derek Smith on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVball.

Up Next
The Bears hit the road again, but this time within the state lines, facing North Texas on Wednesday, October 6 in Denton where start time is set for 6 p.m.

Madelon Allen | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, A&T)