BU's Davis Highlights All-Big 12 Equestrian Awards

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 27 16:54:18 CDT 2021

Davis Highlights All-Big 12 Equestrian Awards
Bears place three on All-Big 12 teams, Davis named Flat Rider of the Year

IRVING, Texas – Following their success in the 2021 season, Baylor equestrian’s Madaline Callaway, Rachael Davis and Savannah Hemby picked up a combined four Big 12 postseason awards, as announced Saturday evening by the conference office.

In addition to making the All-Big 12 Flat Team, Davis was named the Big 12 Flat Rider of the Year. Callaway and Hemby also earned spots on the All-Big 12 Reining and Fences teams, respectively.

“I’m very excited for them,” said head coach Casie Maxwell. “I’m very pleased at how consistent they’ve been in their events all year long. We’ve had a tough road schedule, so to see them have those kinds of records in order to earn these awards is really outstanding.”

After going a perfect 7-0 this season, Davis was recognized as the Big 12 Flat Rider of the Year for the third time in her career and second year in a row. The senior from Woodinville, Wash., tallied three MOP’s in 2021, including a season-high score of 86 against Fresno State in a neutral-site contest. She went an impressive 5-0 in March on her way to being named the NCEA National Flat Rider of the Month.

Baylor has now won six-consecutive Big 12 Flat Rider of the Year awards, dating back to Alicia Gasser in 2016.

Davis also earned her fourth-career All-Big 12 honor in the Flat, becoming the first Bear in program history to collect the accolade in all four years of her career. She posted three of the Bears’ top-five scores in the event this season.

“Rachael is outstanding. She came off such an incredible junior season, so to come back and do that again this year is amazing. It’s a testament to her, her hard work and skill set,” said Maxwell. “Her leadership has been tremendous and the girls really look up to her, both in and out of the arena. We’re definitely very appreciative of her.”

Callaway and Hemby were each honored for the first time in their careers with a spot on the All-Big 12 Reining and Fences teams, respectively.

A junior from Loveland, Colo., Callaway went 4-3 in 2021 with two MOP’s. She was named the NCEA Reining Rider of the Month for January after putting down a clutch ride at Texas A&M, scoring a 74.

“Callaway has had a tough couple of horses dealt to her this year and she stepped up to that challenge and adapted, so I think it’s really outstanding for her to earn this award,” said Maxwell. “She puts in a tremendous amount of work and is a true leader for our Reining squad and our team as a whole.”

Hemby, a sophomore from Argyle, led the Bears with a 5-1-1 record in Fences and earned four scores at or above 90 this season. She was undefeated on the road with a 3-0-1 mark on unfamiliar horses.

“Savannah, it’s only her second true semester of competition with the team. For her to come out as strong as she did this year, having lost the postseason opportunity last season, it’s just amazing,” said Maxwell. “She went off and trained hard over the summer to stay prepared for this season and is another one of those girls that has just been a great leader for us.”

BU finished the regular season 1-6, earning the No. 4-seed at the Big 12 Championship where the Bears placed third after a 1-1 weekend.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all thing Baylor equestrian, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Equestrian), Twitter (@BaylorEQ) and Instagram (@BaylorEquestrian).

2021 BIG 12 POSTSEASON AWARDS (Baylor)
Big 12 Flat Rider of the Year – Rachael Davis, Sr.
All-Big 12 Flat Team – Rachael Davis, Sr.
All-Big 12 Reining Team – Madaline Callaway, Jr.
All-Big 12 Fences Team – Savannah Hemby, So.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)