No. 3 Baylor MT Blanks Lamar, 7-0

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Mon Mar 22 18:04:36 CDT 2021

No. 3 MT Blanks Lamar, 7-0
Bears collect 14th sweep, 20th victory of the season

BEAUMONT, Texas – No. 3 Baylor men’s tennis made quick work of Lamar Monday afternoon in Beaumont, blanking the Cardinals with a 7-0 victory at the Thompson Family Tennis Center.

BU improved to 20-3, surpassing 20 wins for the seventh time in the last nine seasons. The Bears also picked up their 14th sweep of the season.

Opening up with doubles, Baylor grabbed the first point of the match as Ryan Dickerson/Nick Stachowiak cruised on court one, defeating Carlos Paton Canal/Joshua Sundaram 6-0. Then, Christopher Frantzen/Sebastian Nothhaft sealed the point by grinding out a 7-5 win on court three against Brandon Do/Axel Vila Antuna.

Finn Bass/Constantin Frantzen fell in a close battle on court two, 7-6(5) to Filippo Salsini/Joshua Taylor, but the Bears carried momentum into singles as No. 66 Frantzen bounced back to be the first one off with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles over Do.

Alex Garcia tallied the next point, winning 6-1, 6-2 on six against Sundaram, followed by Spencer Furman’s court two victory, 6-2, 6-2 against Paton Canal, which clinched the match. Bass finished up a 6-3, 6-1 win over Taylor on four, while Dickerson took care of Salsini 6-3, 6-0 on court three.

No. 74 Stachowiak put the cherry on top of the afternoon at No. 1 singles, defeating Vila Antuna in straight sets 6-4, 6-4, and improving his overall record to 10-1 in the dual season with his first win at the top position.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor improved to 20-3, reaching the 20-win total for the seventh time in the last nine seasons.
• BU also collected its 14th sweep of the year with the 7-0 road win.
• The Bears are now 18-5 in the doubles point in the 2021 dual campaign and 17-1 in matches when winning the opening tally.
• BU now holds a combined 99-17 record this season in singles and 46-17 mark in doubles.
• No. 74 Nick Stachowiak gathered his first win of the season at No. 1 singles, improving to 10-1 on the season.

STAT OF THE MATCH
20 – Baylor eclipsed the 20-win plateau for the seventh time in the last nine seasons with its win over Lamar.

TOP QUOTES
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
Thoughts on today’s match…
“I thought it was a really successful trip for us. The conditions were tough, they had a good crowd and we played under different circumstances than we’re used to. I thought doubles was a war, outside of No. 1 and the freshmen at three really did a fantastic job of stepping up when it really mattered the most. I thought our guys just stuck to their guns and played their game, and really came away with solid victories up and down the lineup.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor (20-3) gets some time to rest and recover before making the trip to SMU (13-9) on Sunday, March 28, for a 1 p.m. tilt.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)