No. 3 Baylor Men's Tennis Sweeps Doubleheader Against Louisiana and DBU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 20 20:42:28 CDT 2021

No. 3 MT Sweeps Doubleheader Against Louisiana and DBU
Frantzen makes history as fourth Bear to collect 100 career doubles wins

WACO, Texas – No. 3 Baylor men’s tennis put on a show Saturday at the Hurd Tennis Center, defeating Louisiana, 6-1, and DBU 7-0.

The wins marked Baylor’s 41st consecutive doubleheader sweep, winning both ends of a twin bill for the fifth time this season. All 14 Bears saw action on the day.

Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen wrote his name in the history books as he became just the fourth Bear all-time to collect 100-career doubles victories. He now sits just four behind Benjamin Becker’s school record of 104.

MATCH ONE: Baylor 6, Louisiana 1
Baylor started the day by taking the doubles point from the Ragin’ Cajuns. No. 33-ranked Matias Soto/Nick Stachowiak defeated UL’s Hammitt/Gimenez, 6-1, on court two, but No. 10-ranked Constantin Frantzen/Sven Lah fell 6-2 in the top position to Dworak/Keremedchiev.

With all eyes on court three, the British tandem of Finn Bass/Charlie Broom collected a 6-2 win over Sanchez/Kajin to give the Bears the opening point.

Moving into singles, BU found its groove as Alex Garcia picked up a straight-set 6-0, 6-2 win on court six, followed by a Spencer Furman 6-2, 6-0 victory on three to move one point closer to a match win.

Ryan Dickerson clinched it on court four, defeating Gimenez 6-0, 6-2 and securing the team win. Court two was the next to finish, as Kajin handed No. 103 Broom the Bears’ only singles loss of the day, taking a 6-4, 6-4 win.

No. 46 Adrian Boitan and Bass rounded it out with lengthier wins, as Boitan grabbed a 7-6(4), 6-0 victory on court one, and Bass came back from down a set to win 6-7(4), 7-5, 10-5 in a third-set breaker.

MATCH TWO: Baylor 7, DBU 0
Once again, the Bears started strong in the nightcap by winning all three doubles matches at nearly the same time. No. 10 Frantzen/Lah earned a historic win on court one, 6-1 over the Patriots’ Garrido/Williams, for Frantzen’s 100th-career doubles victory.

Bass and Garcia teamed up on court two, while Christopher Frantzen and Sebastian Nothhaft came together on three to each defeat their adversaries 6-0.

Heading into solo play, it was seemingly a race to the finish line as No. 103 Broom bounced back from his earlier loss with a 6-1, 6-1 rout in the top spot, then Christopher Frantzen ended his match on court four, 6-1, 6-0.

Joseph Chen was the clincher for the Bears on court six, earning a 6-1, 6-3 victory, just minutes before Sebastian Nothhaft pulled off a 6-2, 6-2 win on court three.

Rahul Dhokia made his season debut for the Bears in singles at the fifth spot and tallied a 6-1, 6-2 win. Then, No. 66 Constantin Frantzen sent the BU faithful home happy with a 6-3, 7-5 victory on court two.

HIGHLIGHTS
• BU improved to 19-3 on the season for the first time since 2017.
• Baylor has now swept both ends in each of its last 41 doubleheaders.
• The Bears are 17-5 in the doubles point this year, and 16-1 in matches when winning the opening tally.
• BU is now a combined 93-17 in singles action and 44-16 in doubles dual matches this spring.
• Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen collected his 100th-career doubles win, becoming just the fourth Bear all-time to achieve the feat.
• Rahul Dhokia made his season debut with a 6-1, 6-2 win against DBU’s Williams.

STAT OF THE MATCH
100 – Constantin Frantzen collected his 100th-career doubles victory and became just the fourth Bear all-time to achieve the feat.

TOP QUOTES
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
Thoughts on today’s doubleheader…
“I thought it was a great day of tennis. We had good crowds engaged in the matches, so it was a lot of fun. It’s always good to get everybody involved, that’s not easy with a bigger team, but we were able to do that today and I thought everybody played great.”

On Constantin Frantzen’s 100th-career doubles win…
“He is so deserving. He has worked so hard for the last five years and gone through so much adversity, so many changes. So to have somebody like him just be a constant in the program has been really special. I can’t think of a guy that deserves it more.”

Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen
On becoming the fourth Bear all-time to reach 100 career doubles wins…
“Obviously, it’s special. I’ve been here for five years now. The tradition at Baylor with German players is pretty big. There’s Benjamin Becker, he’s one of the guys up there [ahead of me] on the list, so it means a lot to me to give something back to the program. Overall, it’s a pleasure and joy to compete everyday and to get the opportunity to play, especially during the pandemic. It’s an honor.”

Second-year freshman Rahul Dhokia
On making his season debut…
“It felt amazing to be out competing with the guys. I think we’ve all worked so hard and we’re embracing what Coach Woodson’s saying about playing anyone, anytime, anyplace. I’m really proud of the guys and proud to be part of something bigger than myself. I think the best win is always the next win and for me, that match was the biggest thing in my life at that moment. I gave everything and being around this team is pretty special.”

WHAT’S NEXT
The Bears (19-3) will head south to Beaumont to take on Lamar (7-4) on Monday, March 22, at 2 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)