Baylor Baseball: Rally Falls Short as BSB Falls to No. 10 Texas, 4-3

Rhodes, Zach Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu
Sat Mar 20 19:00:16 CDT 2021

Rally Falls Short as BSB Falls to No. 10 Texas, 4-3
The Bears had a chance to tie or take the lead with two outs in the ninth
For more information contact: Zach Rhodes, 919-247-7585, Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – The Baylor ninth-inning rally came up just short as Texas took the 4-3 victory and clinched the series on Saturday at Baylor Ballpark. The Bears (12-6, 0-2 Big 12) will look to get their first conference win in the series finale against the Longhorns (14-5, 2-0 Big 12) tomorrow afternoon.

UT came out and struck in the opening frame to go up 1-0. Baylor fired back to with an RBI-double from fifth-year senior Andy Thomas to tie the score 1-1 in the home-half of the first.

Each team was held in check until the fourth inning when UT took the lead 2-1 with a solo home run. Baylor responded in the bottom of the inning with a leadoff home run by Thomas to tie the score at 2-2.

In the sixth, Texas took back the lead after three-straight hits plated two runs to make it 4-2.

Baylor needed a rally in the bottom of the ninth and had life after fourth-year junior Davion Downey belted an opposite field home run to cut it to a one-run game. Two at-bats later, third-year sophomore Chase Wehsener doubled to center field with two outs, however a ground out ended the game as the Bears fell, 4-3.

Texas starter Tristan Stevens (2-1) earned the win after hurling six innings, while Baylor reliever Jimmy Winston (2-2) was tabbed with the loss after throwing four innings, giving up two runs and striking out six. For the second-consecutive game, UT’s Aaron Nixon (2) earned the save. BU’s starter, Blake Helton threw four innings while allowing two runs on five hits.

NOTES
• Baylor is now 10-2 this season at Baylor Ballpark.
• Second-year freshman Jared McKenzie finished 2-for-5 at the plate and scored once.
• Thomas finished 3-for-4 with two RBI and his fifth home run of the year.
• Downey’s home run in the ninth was his second of the year and 12th of his career.
• Winston tied his season-high with 6 strikeouts.

QUOTE FROM COACH ROD
“I think the big thing is we need to make contact with guys in scoring position. There were a couple opportunities today that we kind of let slip through our fingers a little bit. I thought our guys did a great job competing until the very last out –– Davion (Downey) coming up big with an opposite field home run and our bullpen came in and did a really good job. The biggest thing is that we have to continue to execute offensively, put the ball in play a little bit better and continue to have good at-bats.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor and Texas will finish the series on Sunday at 1 p.m.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Baseball), Twitter (@BaylorBaseball) and Instagram (@BaylorBaseball).

-BaylorBears.com-

Zach Rhodes | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
C: 919-247-7585 | O: 254-710-3784