Baylor Baseball: Streak Snapped as BSB Drops Opener to No. 10 Texas, 5-3

Rhodes, Zach Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 19 23:14:11 CDT 2021

Streak Snapped as BSB Drops Opener to No. 10 Texas, 5-3
The Bears will look to rebound in game two tomorrow at 3 p.m.
For more information contact: Zach Rhodes, 919-247-7585, Zach_Rhodes at baylor.edu

WACO, Texas – Baylor baseball had its 10-game win streak snapped at the hands of No. 10 Texas, 5-3, on Friday night at Baylor Ballpark. The Bears (12-5, 0-1) gave up a four-spot in the third inning to the Longhorns (13-5, 1-0), which proved to be the difference in the game.

The Bears got on the board in the first with a leadoff double from second-year freshman Jared McKenzie, followed by newcomer Jack Pineda’s first career triple to give Baylor the early 1-0 advantage. After a few BU errors, Texas capitalized and put up a four-spot in the second.

In the third, Baylor scratched across a run when McKenzie was hit by a pitch, followed up by back-to-back singles from second-year freshman Tre Richardson and fifth-year senior Andy Thomas to make it 4-2. However, Texas responded with a run of its own to push its lead back to three.

The Bears had a chance in the eighth following singles from Andy Thomas and second-year freshman Kyle Nevin set up runners on first and second with one out. After a fly out, one run scored on an error by Texas’ shortstop to make it 5-3. The Bears had the bases loaded with two outs in the inning, however a ground out to first base ended the threat.

Pineda smacked a leadoff single to start the ninth, but the Bears could not take advantage as a strikeout ended the game, 5-3.

Baylor starter Tyler Thomas (2-1) picked up his first loss of the season after throwing five innings, allowing five runs while only one was earned. The four-year junior also struck out five, while allowing three hits. Texas’ Ty Madden (3-1) impressed hurling 6.1 innings and striking out nine in the win, while Aaron Nixon (1) got the save.

NOTES
• Baylor is now 10-1 this season at Baylor Ballpark.
• The Bears held the Longhorns scoreless for the final six innings of the game.
• In his first Big 12 appearance, second-year freshman threw 2.2 innings of scoreless baseball, while only allowing one hit and striking out three.
• Andy Thomas finished 2-for-5 with an RBI and run scored.
• Pineda in his conference debut went 2-for-4 with an RBI after hitting his first-career triple.

QUOTE FROM COACH ROD
“I thought we competed well, I was really happy with how Tyler Thomas went out there and battled through some walks, but he was making some really good pitches so that’s why we kept him out there. They (Texas) weren’t taking really good swings on him, but overall I was pretty pleased with what we did. We just couldn’t get the offense going. Ty Madden did a great job going deep into the game. He showed why he’s a first-rounder.”

WHAT’S NEXT
Baylor and Texas will continue the series tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m., with the finale coming on Sunday at 1 p.m.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor baseball, follow the team on Facebook (Baylor Baseball), Twitter (@BaylorBaseball) and Instagram (@BaylorBaseball).

-BaylorBears.com-

Zach Rhodes | Associate Director of Athletics Communications
C: 919-247-7585 | O: 254-710-3784