Baylor SOC Goes for the Gold in Win over SMU

Pirtle, Krista Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu
Sun Aug 29 22:18:55 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Aug. 29, 2021

SOC Goes for the Gold in Win over SMU
Freshman Haven Terry delivers golden goal in overtime
For more information contact: Krista Pirtle, 254-447-8610, Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu<mailto:Krista_Pirtle at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – Jennifer Wandt set up for the free kick around midfield and then dribbled the ball a few paces before the SMU defense advanced. The fifth-year senior keeper then blasted the ball toward the box. Lorelai Stramrood rose above the pack to head the ball toward Haven Terry who still isn’t sure what part of her body sent the ball into the back of the net for the golden goal in Baylor’s 2-1 win over SMU Sunday night at Betty Lou Mays Field.

The win moves Baylor to 2-2 on the season and marks the Bears’ first win at home for the year.

BU jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 10th minute off a corner kick. Ally Henderson-Ashkinos sent the ball in from the right side, and Mackenzie Anthony headed the ball into the back of the net for her second goal of the season.

SMU answered quickly, however, with a score in the 11th minute. The score remained knotted at 1-1 until Terry’s goal in the 99th minute.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Mackenzie Anthony netted her fourth career goal.
  *   Ally Henderson-Ashkinos recorded her 14th career assist. That moves her to sole possession of No. 8 in school history.
  *   A pair of freshmen were involved in the golden goal as Lorelai Stramrood logged her first career assist and Haven Terry had her first career goal.
  *   Every Baylor defender – Sarah Hornyak, Sarah Norman, Kayley Ables and Ava Colberg – played the full 99 minutes.
  *   Jennifer Wandt finished with four saves on the night.

STAT OF THE GAME
6 – Number of times a goalkeeper has recorded an assist in Baylor history. It marked Jennifer Wandt’s second career assist (9/2/18) as she is the third BU keeper to do so.

TOP QUOTES
Paul Jobson on the game…
“We fought through a ton of fatigue. Obviously, it was our second game in a couple of days, and (SMU) hadn't played so they were a little fresher than we were. But we showed we had more resilience down towards the end of the match. We made some adjustments, and I am really just proud of their effort.”

Jennifer Wandt on Baylor’s fight…
“We just had to adapt to the situation at hand. We like to say that we are a gritty and tough team. It’s one thing to say it but it’s another thing to demonstrate it, and I thought we did that here.”

Haven Terry on her goal…
“Everybody is super tired, but you’re throwing your body on the line and getting anything you can on the ball. I don’t know what I hit it with, but it went in. That’s what you’re trying to do at the end of the day.”