Baylor Track & Field: Barnett Hired as Head XC/Distance Coach

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Tue Aug 3 16:38:35 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – August 3, 2021

Baylor Track & Field: Barnett Hired as Head XC/Distance Coach
Alabama native was Auburn’s cross country head coach since 2017

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – David Barnett has been named Head Cross Country/Distance Coach of the Baylor track & field program, head coach Michael Ford announced Tuesday.

“I’d like to welcome David Barnett to our Baylor Track & Field/Cross Country program and to the Baylor Family,” Ford said. “I’m looking forward to David leading our cross country and distance program here at Baylor. He has done a great job developing student-athletes at the conference and national level, and I’m looking forward to having him on our staff.”

Barnett comes to Baylor from Auburn University, where he served as cross country head coach since 2017. The Oneonta, Ala., native coached an NCAA Champion, three NCAA medalists (top-3 finishers), nine All Americans, 12 NCAA qualifiers and eight SEC medalists during his time at Auburn. Barnett’s athletes combined to set 15 school records and were part of multiple top-10 and top-15 team finishes nationally.

“I’m definitely looking forward to it,” Barnett said. “I appreciate the opportunity from Coach Ford and the administration. It’s a great program with great history, and I’m looking forward to contributing to its continued success.”

Barnett coached the top female distance runner in Auburn history, Joyce Kimeli, to the 2021 NCAA National Championship in the 5,000 meters (indoor) and saw her become the SEC record holder in the steeplechase (9:31) and the SEC meet record holder in both the 3,000m and 5,000m. Barnett helped Kimeli set four school records - in the mile (4:38), 3,000m (8:56), 5,000m (15:37) and 3,000m steeplechase (9:31).

“I’m fortunate to have been a part of championship teams,” Barnett said. “I’ve also been able to help develop student-athletes to conference and national level. My goal at Baylor is to establish a high standard and build on prior successes in the cross country program so that we can compete at a Big 12 and national level on a consistent basis.”

Prior to his time at Auburn, Barnett was the Head Cross Country Coach/Assistant Track and Field Coach at South Alabama from 2012-17.

At South Alabama, Barnett was honored as Sun Belt Cross Country Coach of the Year in both 2014 and 2015. He led the men’s team to its first conference title in eight years in 2014, and in 2015 helped the women’s team win its first league championship since 1993. Both the men’s and women’s championship teams earned the highest GPA in the Sun Belt during their respective seasons.

His distance runners at South Alabama combined for 39 all-conference honors and 15 conference championships, and five school records were established on the women’s side in the 1,500m, mile, 3,000m and 5,000m.

Barnett joined South Alabama as an assistant coach in October 2011 before taking over the the cross country program in December 2012. He served as the staff representative/huddle coach for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) at South Alabama throughout his time there.

As a graduate assistant/intern for Auburn from 2009-2011, Barnett helped lead the men’s team to back-to-back top-20 finishes at the NCAA Indoor Championships and the women’s team to a top-10 finish at the 2010 NCAA Indoor Championships and a top-15 finish at the 2011 NCAA Indoor Championships.

“I’d also like to thank Auburn Head Coach Ralph Spry for the great experience and opportunity to coach on his staff for the last 4 years,” Barnett said. “I’ve learned a lot and appreciate him on a personal and professional level.”

Barnett earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise science from Auburn, and has obtained USA Track & Field Level I and II Coaching Certification.

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>