No. 12 Seed Baylor VB’s Season Ends in Regional Semifinals After 3-0 Loss to No. 5 Seed Nebraska

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sun Apr 18 17:18:00 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 18, 2021

No. 12 Seed VB’s Season Ends in Regional Semifinals After 3-0 Loss to No. 5 Seed Nebraska
Bears finish the year at 20-7 following back-to-back Sweet 16 appearances

OMAHA, Neb. – No. 11-ranked and 12th-seeded Baylor volleyball saw its season come to an end Sunday following a 3-0 loss to No. 4-ranked and fifth-seeded Nebraska, 21-25, 17-25, 19-25, at the CHI Health Center in Omaha, Neb.

The Bears’ (20-7) postseason run finished in its second-consecutive Regional Semifinals appearance. It was just the third time in program history that BU had reached the Sweet 16.

BU couldn’t overcome eight serving errors, as well as eight service aces by the Cornhuskers, who improved to 16-2 on the year and advanced to the Regional Finals.

To open the match, Baylor capitalized on some early Nebraska mistakes to take a 10-5 lead. BU led 13-9 following a kill from Andressa Parise, but the Huskers tied it at 13-13 with a four-point run and the Bears didn’t lead by more than one for the remainder of the set. Nebraska got in front at 17-16 with a kill and carried momentum through to take a 1-0 match advantage, despite Baylor hitting a solid .364 in the opening frame.

Entering set two, the Bears started slow and found themselves in a 5-1 hole needing to take a timeout. BU called another after trailing 12-5 to try and stall the Huskers, but the Bears did not get back within seven points following the break. BU hit just .038 in the set and Nebraska gathered a 2-0 lead.

The Bears stumbled yet again in the third set, hitting just .098 in the frame. The two sides went back and forth up to 7-7 when a Yossiana Pressley kill put BU in front. Pressley again put one away and followed it up with an ace to swell the lead to 11-8, but Nebraska hung around and minimized the damage. Following a timeout at 13-9, the Huskers went on a run to take back a 14-13 lead which swung the momentum fully in their favor. Pressley collected her fifth kill of the set with the Bears down 20-18, but Nebraska went on another small run and the Bears couldn’t recover.

Pressley led all players with 15 kills, hitting .205, while Hannah Sedwick dished out 21 assists.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor is now 11-9 all-time in the NCAA Championship, including an 8-5 record under sixth-year head coach Ryan McGuyre.
• BU fell to 1-2 all-time in the Regional Semifinals of the NCAA Tournament.
• Baylor made back-to-back appearances in the Regional Semifinals for the first time in program history.
• Yossiana Pressley led all players with 15 kills, her 99th double-digit kill performance of her career.
• Hannah Sedwick collected 21 assists, her 100th-career match with double figures.

STAT OF THE MATCH
16 – Baylor made back-to-back appearances in the Regional Semifinals (Sweet 16) for the first time in program history, as the team has only advance that far three times (2009, 2019, 2020).

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
On today’s match…
“I liked how we prepared for the match. We came out strong, but were unable to sustain the execution that we needed to. Mentally, we were ready. Nebraska did a good job with their serve and pass game. It’s hard to hold on to leads if you’re going to give up the reception errors. Our sideout game struggled because of our first touch.”

On excitement for the fall…
“100 percent, I’m really excited about next year’s team. I think with the additions we’re getting and some of the fire from the ones that are here, a chance to have everybody back is going to be exciting. I feel very confident we’ll have the firepower in the gym, we’ll just have to get back to the execution and consistency.”

Senior Yossiana Pressley
On what reaching the Sweet 16 means to the team moving into next season…
“I feel like both of us as leaders feel that we can and we will do better to prepare our team, to get to a Final Four and win a national championship. We’re going to do what’s necessary to get that momentum going, get that confidence, get that one way to play back on track and just ‘Sic ‘Em’ in the fall.”

Senior Hannah Sedwick
On what reaching the Sweet 16 means to the team moving into next season…
“Kind of like what we just talked about with our team, disappointment is a driver of success. I guess, I’m just thankful that that’s true and hopefully we’ll all be hungry in the coming months.”

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)