No. 3 Baylor Men's Tennis Pushes Win Streak to Nine with Doubleheader Sweep

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 10 22:20:16 CDT 2021

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 10, 2021

No. 3 MT Pushes Win Streak to Nine with Doubleheader Sweep
Bears move to 3-0 in Big 12 play for first time since 2013, Frantzen ties school record

WACO, Texas – No. 3 Baylor men’s tennis kept rolling Saturday at the Hurd Tennis Center, sweeping both ends of its doubleheader against Abilene Christian and No. 19 Texas Tech.

BU (25-3, 3-0) remained unbeaten in league play with a 6-1 victory over the Red Raiders, following a morning shutout against the Wildcats.

The wins marked Baylor’s 42nd consecutive doubleheader sweep, taking both ends of a twin bill for the sixth time this season.

Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen tied the school record with his 104th-career doubles victory, matching Benjamin Becker’s mark atop the Bears all-time leaderboard.

MATCH ONE: Baylor 7, Abilene Christian 0
The Bears got it going right from the start against ACU, taking all three doubles matches handily. Frantzen picked up career win No. 103 alongside Spencer Furman, 6-3, on court two over Oswaldo Cano/Joaquin Delgado just moments before Adrian Boitan/Ryan Dickerson wrapped up a 6-2 victory in the top spot against Savan Chhabra/Mihaly Deli.

Finn Bass/Alex Garcia finished off duo action with a 6-2 win on court three, topping Riley Tran/Jose Maria Rastrojo. Bass kept the momentum rolling right into singles play, becoming the first Bear off the court with a light 6-0, 6-2 victory over Deli at No. 3 singles.

Garcia made it 3-0 in BU’s favor with a 6-1, 6-2 win against Cano on court four and Rahul Dhokia clinched the match on six, 6-1, 6-2, over Ryan Flanagan.

Baylor finished it out with straight-set wins by Sebastian Nothhaft, who took a 6-4, 6-2 decision on court five over Delgado, and Dickerson who grabbed a 6-1, 6-2 victory on two against Tran.

Frantzen battled back from a first-set tiebreaker loss to Chhabra to keep the shutout in place, collecting a 6-7(7), 6-1, 1-0(5) victory to put the stamp on the morning match.

MATCH TWO: Baylor 6, Texas Tech 1
Before Frantzen collected his program record-tying 104th career doubles win, it was Matias Soto/Nick Stachowiak who got BU started in the nightcap with a 6-1 victory on court two over Isaac Arevalo/Reed Collier. Alongside Sven Lah, Frantzen then sealed the doubles point for the Bears, winning 6-2 in the top spot against Franco Ribero/Parker Wynn.

As singles got started, Stachowiak would be the first Bear off with a 6-1, 6-3 victory against Collier on court four, followed shortly thereafter by No. 9 Soto who collected a win on court two by the same score.

After No. 62 Boitan fell in a first-set tiebreaker, the Red Raiders rallied to send two matches to third sets on courts three and five. However, Charlie Broom would outlast Dimitrios Azoidis 6-4, 3-6, 6-3 to clinch the match for BU.

Spencer Furman toughed out a 6-3, 7-6(5) match on court six to defeat Arevalo before Sven Lah fell on three to Franco Ribero 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 for TTU’s first point.

At No. 1 singles, Boitan continued to duel Parker Wynn in an extremely tight match. After dropping the first set, Boitan battled back to win the second and outlasted the Red Raider in a grueling third-set tiebreaker.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor improved to 25-3 on the season, it’s best mark through 28 matches since 2007.
• The Bears are 3-0 to begin Big 12 play for the first time since 2013.
• BU has now swept both ends in each of its last 42 doubleheaders.
• With its win over No. 19 Texas Tech, Baylor improved to 11-3 this season against ranked opponents and 10-3 over the top-25.
• The Bears are now 22-6 in the doubles point this season, including a 21-1 record in matches when winning the opening tally.
• BU is now a combined 123-22 in singles play and 56-19 in doubles dual matches.
• Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen tied Baylor’s all-time record for career doubles victories with 104, matching Benjamin Becker’s mark.
• Frantzen also remained unbeaten in singles play this season, notching a victory at the No. 1 spot against ACU. He now has wins at all six singles positions this season.

STAT OF THE MATCH
104 – Constantin Frantzen collected his 104th-career doubles victory, tying Benjamin Becker’s all-time record.

TOP QUOTES
Interim head coach Michael Woodson
On Constantin Frantzen’s record-tying doubles win…
“I’ve been extremely impressed by how everyone has played in doubles. We’ve really put a lot of time in on the doubles court and we’re playing great energy and great discipline. Coni and Sven [Lah], we’ve trusted all of the success they’ve had and they’re starting to find their range. It’s fun to see them reap the rewards of their hard work and I couldn’t be more excited for Coni. I can’t wait for him to break it.”

On Adrian Boitan’s grinding three-set win…
“Adi fought himself throughout that match. There’s a reason Parker [Wynn] plays at No. 1 at Texas Tech and has great success. He puts you in extremely uncomfortable positions and he made Adrian very uncomfortable throughout the match. A ton of credit to him, but Adrian is the ultimate competitor when the match comes down to it. When the match is on the line, he will play his best tennis.”

Fifth-year senior Constantin Frantzen
On tying the school record…
“A lot of people have been talking about it, so now that I’m tied it’s feeling more special. It’s not my biggest goal to break it, I’ve got other goals for the team and for myself. But yeah, it means a lot to me because Benjamin Becker was one of the best college players in the last 30 years. It would be crazy to break his record.”

Third-year sophomore Finn Bass
On the team’s current run of form…
“The team’s feeling really good. The main thing is we’re all healthy and no injuries. Everyone is physically and mentally up for it. We’re just taking it match by match. Every team in the Big 12 is unbelievably talented and difficult in their own ways.”

WHAT’S NEXT
No. 3 Baylor (25-3) hosts Midwestern State (9-5) for a midweek tune-up on Tuesday, April 13, at 6 p.m. CT at the Hurd Tennis Center.

For the latest news on the Baylor men’s tennis team all season long, follow their official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorMTennis.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)