Baylor VB Sweeps Kansas On The Road

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Sat Sep 26 18:44:01 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – September 26, 2020

VB Sweeps Kansas On The Road
Bears bounce back, earn first victory of 2020 season

LAWRENCE, Kan. – Baylor volleyball (1-1) bounced back after a season-opening loss by sweeping Kansas (1-1) Saturday at the Horejsi Family Volleyball Arena in Lawrence, Kan., 25-14, 25-19, 25-15.

The Bears made use of 45 team kills on a .400 clip to earn their first victory of the 2020 season.

To start things out, Lauren Harrison put down seven kills on seven swings, leading the Bears to a dominating first set win. BU hit .517 as a team in the first and carried momentum throughout the set, only committing one attacking error.

In the second, Yossiana Pressley’s kill at 8-6 sparked a five-point Baylor run and the Bears never looked back. Callie Williams recorded two of her match-high four aces in the set and the Bears proved resilient, fighting off back-and-forth play from the Jayhawks.

As part of a well-rounded third set, Kara McGhee tallied a team-high five kills and Williams added two more aces, both of whom played key roles in the Bears 5-0 run that saw the score swell to 13-5. Williams’ dump to make it 20-12 all but sealed the match and leveled the season series with the Jayhawks.

BU held Kansas to just an .112 hitting efficiency overall, blocking the Jayhawks eight times throughout the match. Pressley led the Bears with four rejections and Harrison added three.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

HIGHLIGHTS
• The Bears improved to 4-0 following a season-opening loss under sixth year head coach Ryan McGuyre.
• Baylor now leads the all-time series against Kansas 27-26.
• Under McGuyre, the Bears are 107-5 in matches when leading their opponent in attack percentage.
• Baylor is currently 101-17 under McGuyre when leading their opponent in kills.
• Three Bears finished with double-digit kills for the second consecutive match: Harrison (14), McGhee (11), Pressley (10).
• Callie Williams recorded a match-high four service aces.
• Redshirt freshman L/DS Gabby Brown made her first-career start.

STAT OF THE MATCH
3 – Number of Bears with double-digit kills

TOP QUOTE
Head coach Ryan McGuyre<https://baylorbears.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1435>
On the match…
"Very pleased with our response in a lot of areas. We did a great job managing our swings and cutting way down on errors. Great performance from Lauren [Harrison] hitting at a high level, she really elevated and did some great things. I thought Callie [Williams] did a much better job running the show tonight, moving the ball around. I’m proud that we were able to talk about [adjustments] and execute it, without normally having a couple days to work on it.”

WHAT'S NEXT
BU (1-1) heads home to the Ferrell Center for two matches against TCU (0-0) next week on Friday, Oct. 2 and Saturday, Oct. 3, with first serve set for 5 p.m. both nights. Friday’s match will be televised on ESPNU and Saturday’s contest will be available on Big 12 Now on ESPN+.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)
O: TBD | C: 254-265-1639

[cid:image001.png at 01D69434.FF99AD40]<http://baylorbears.com/>