Baylor Cross Country Treks to Oklahoma State for Cowboy Jamboree

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Fri Oct 2 12:13:07 CDT 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – Oct. 2, 2020

Baylor Cross Country Treks to Oklahoma State for Cowboy Jamboree
Saturday’s meet will feature a men’s 8K at 8:30 a.m. CT and a women’s 6K at 9:15 a.m. CT.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas - Baylor cross country returns to action Saturday, Oct. 3 as the Bears compete in the Cowboy Jamboree at the OSU Cross Country Course in Stillwater, Okla.

“I’m excited to see if the success we had at ACU can translate amongst stiffer competition,” associate head coach Jon Capron said. “We need to stay with the same mindset we had going into ACU. We have two weeks of more fitness underneath our belts, and workouts have looked really great. It’s all about how they react to a tougher course and tougher competition. I believe they are prepared.”

The men will compete in an 8K race that begins at 8:30 a.m. CT, and the women will follow with a 6K race at 9:15 a.m. CT.

“Training has gone really well,” Capron said. “They are better prepared top-to-bottom than they have been in a while. I’m excited to see how they are going to race. I think we have a better balance on keeping them fresh along with doing the work. I’m really excited to see their efforts applied to a good race.”

Baylor is coming off of a dual meet sweep at ACU two weeks ago in which Celia Holmes and Connor Laktasic claimed the women’s and men’s individual titles, respectively. Ryan Day (runner-up) and Sarah Antrich (third) were also at the top of their respective races, and three freshmen (Lily Jacobs, 4th; Kendall Mansukhani, 6th; Anna Garner, 7th) finished in the top seven of the women’s 5K.

“The leaders need to expect things from themselves,” Capron said. “If they’re going to be somebody that’s winning a meet, then they need to be expecting themselves to place pretty high in a meet with more competition. That’s one thing that I expect from that top crew. I expect them to be more assertive.

“The freshmen ran great, and I don’t think any of them have run their best,” Capron said. “That is exciting. For the ladies, this is another (1,000 meters) on a harder course, and I believe they are prepared. On the guys’ side, I liked where the freshmen were, but they are going to have to keep going. Having those guys in there will be good. I think they can contribute, and we’re also getting Cal (Johnston) back so he’ll be up there to help out and cover for them.”

The Cowboy Jamboree is the second of four meets for Baylor during the fall season. The Bears will close the season with meets at Texas A&M and in Lawrence (Oct. 30) for the Big 12 Championships.

For updates on Baylor cross country throughout the season, follow @BaylorTrack on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>