No. 3 Baylor Volleyball Handles No. 10 K-State in Four

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Fri Nov 20 21:19:56 CST 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – November 20, 2020

No. 3 VB Handles No. 10 K-State in Four
Bears clinch second place in the Big 12 with 12th victory of the season

WACO, Texas – No. 3 Baylor volleyball (12-3) handled No. 10 Kansas State (10-5) in four sets Friday night at the Ferrell Center, 25-15, 24-26, 27-25, 25-19 to clinch sole possession of second place in the Big 12 standings.

Shanel Bramschreiber was everywhere defensively for the Bears, tying her career-high with 22 digs, while Yossiana Pressley (17), Marieke van der Mark (11) and Kara McGhee (10) each reached double-digit kills to seal the victory. McGhee collected her first career double-double with a career-high 12 blocks.

The Bears got out to a strong start, hitting .400 in the first set. McGhee was efficient with four kills on five swings, including a putaway at 16-11 as part of a 5-0 BU run. Baylor also recorded four blocks in the set, holding K-State to just a .067 attack percentage. Hannah Sedwick teamed up with McGhee for a double block at 21-12 as the Bears cruised to a first set win.

In the second, the Wildcats evened the match as BU struggled to the tune of a .130 hitting efficiency. Attack errors told the story, as the two sides combined for 14 total in the frame. The Bears couldn’t overcome a narrow deficit as the set needed extra points to decide a winner, but a late KSU kill and a BU attack error ultimately gave it to the Wildcats.

It was neck-and-neck once more in the third, as K-State hung around and traded points with Baylor throughout the majority of the set. Six different Bears recorded kills, including Callie Williams and Sedwick who each put down three. Sedwick found the floor at 25-25 to stave off a Wildcat set point, and a Pressley ace swung the momentum in the Bears’ favor, leading them to a 27-25 set win.

BU flexed its muscles in the fourth, spreading the ball around again with six more players tallying kills. Bri Coleman came off the bench to spark the Bears with a pair of kills and two blocks. She combined with Lauren Harrison for a rejection at 18-16 that ignited a four-point run and the Bears saw out the set behind kills from Pressley and van der Mark.

To stay up to date throughout the season on all things Baylor volleyball, follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram: @BaylorVBall.

HIGHLIGHTS
• Baylor improved to 3-2 against ranked opponents this season.
• BU posted a season-best 17.5 blocks, its most since Nov. 29, 2018 (16.0 vs. Hawai’i).
• Sophomore Kara McGhee collected her first-career double-double with 10 kills and a personal-best 12 blocks.
• Junior Shanel Bramschreiber tied her career-best with 22 digs.
• Four different Bears tallied service aces: Shanel Bramschreiber, Yossiana Pressley, Emily Van Slate and Callie Williams.
• Three Bears were in double figures offensively: Yossiana Pressley (17), Marieke van der Mark (11) and McGhee (10).
• Three Bears reached double-digits in digs: Bramschreiber (22), Emily Van Slate (11) and Campbell Bowden (10).

STAT OF THE MATCH
17.5 – Baylor tallied a season-best 17.5 blocks as a team; Kara McGhee recorded a career-best 12.0.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Ryan McGuyre
On clinching second place in the Big 12…
“It is important, because I feel the Big 12 will be guaranteed one at-large bid for the postseason. We want to be the highest seed possible and that means finishing strong with a win tomorrow. K-State is more than deserving to be considered in that top-48. We always say the better team always wins on the second night. You want to at least get the split to finish second, but I want to make sure we are the best team on the second day.”

Junior Bri Coleman
On bringing energy off the bench…
“I just think it’s all about relationships. Just getting on the court, knowing that the girls to your right trust and respect you, and knowing that I am fully there supporting them no matter what, so just pouring into them as best I can. Whether that’s making plays, encouraging them, or speaking life into them, I think that’s my mindset going in. Even on the bench too, when I can lift people up.”

WHAT'S NEXT
No. 3 Baylor (12-3) will close out its fall slate with another match against No. 10 Kansas State (10-5) on Saturday at the Ferrell Center. First serve is set for 2 p.m. CT on Big 12 Now on ESPN+

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (VB, MTEN, EQ)