Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Earns Back-to-Back Big 12 Awards

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Wed Jan 29 15:04:55 CST 2020

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – January 29, 2020

Baylor Track & Field: Lightfoot Earns Back-to-Back Big 12 Awards
Sophomore is the 11th men's pole vaulter in collegiate history to clear 19 feet indoors.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

WACO, Texas – For the second-consecutive week, Baylor sophomore KC Lightfoot is the Big 12 Indoor Track & Field Athlete of the Week, the conference announced Wednesday.

“What can you say? You kind of run out of words,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We’re so proud of KC. All that he accomplished the first week, he just went and did above and beyond that the second week. Breaking the school record again, getting the Olympic standard. It was just another great weekend for KC. We just have to keep working hard, stay humble and keep jumping high.”

Lightfoot became the 11th men's pole vaulter in collegiate history to clear 19 feet indoors, jumping 19-0.25 (5.80m) at the Texas A&M Invitational to set the meet record, facility record and school record in addition to attaining the Olympic qualifying standard. The sophomore from Lee's Summit, Mo., also maintained his No. 1 spot in the NCAA this season while taking home yet another victory.

“It’s an honor to receive the award any time, but getting it back-to-back is really special to me,” Lightfoot said. “I’m glad the season is starting off strong, and hopefully it continues on this path.”

It is Lightfoot's third career Big 12 weekly award (Jan. 22, 2020/Feb. 20, 2019), and the 12th men's indoor track & field athlete of the week in program history. It is the 43rd overall conference athlete of the week award (men's and women's indoor/outdoor) for Baylor track & field since 2002.

“That’s an incredible honor,” pole vault coach Brandon Richards said. “He deserves it. We’re very gracious to receive that two weeks in a row.”

Lightfoot and the Bears are set for their third meet in as many weeks as they travel to the Texas Tech Invitational & Multis this Friday and Saturday (Jan. 31-Feb.1) in Lubbock.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>