Baylor Men’s Golf Finishes Tied for 27th at NCAA Championship

Kaye, David David_Kaye at baylor.edu
Sun May 26 22:04:59 CDT 2019

Complete results and statistics attached.

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 26, 2019

Baylor Men’s Golf Finishes Tied for 27th at NCAA Championship
Bears’ run at school-record fourth consecutive NCAA Championship concludes
For more information contact: David Kaye, 254-709-5147, David_Kaye at baylor.edu<mailto:David_Kaye at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Baylor men’s golf finished tied for 27th place after shooting 51-over-par 915 across three rounds at the 2019 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championship. The Bears carded 18-over 306 in Sunday’s third round at Blessings Golf Club, falling 15 strokes shy of the cut to advance to the fourth round of stroke play.

No. 23 Baylor (+51) finished tied with No. 24 Illinois (+51) and ahead of No. 21 Louisville (+68) and No. 29 BYU (+74). The 15 teams which advanced to Monday’s fourth round include No. 1 Oklahoma State (-12), No. 5 Texas (+13), No. 10 Stanford (+13), No. 6 Oklahoma (+16), No. 3 Wake Forest (+17), No. 4 Vanderbilt (+18), No. 17 Texas A&M (+20), No. 13 Clemson (+28), SMU (+29), No. 28 TCU (+30), No. 42 Ohio State (+31), No. 20 Pepperdine (+32), No. 11 Auburn (+34), No. 12 California (+35) and No. 9 USC (+36).

Additional teams falling short of the cutline included No. 2 Arizona State (+37), No. 15 South Carolina (+38), No. 7 Georgia Tech (+39), No. 25 North Carolina (+40), No. 22 Liberty (+42), No. 33 UNLV (+42), No. 18 North Florida (+43), No. 16 LSU (+43), No. 14 Georgia (+47), No. 8 Duke (+48) and Georgia Southern (+49).

Juniors Colin Kober and Cooper Dossey led the Bears with matching scores of 3-over 75 on Sunday. Dossey finished with a team-best 54-hole total of 9-over 225, which tied for 60th place in the 156-player field. Kober tied for 101st place at 15-over 231. Senior Braden Bailey shot 6-over 78 and wrapped up his collegiate career tied for 96th place at 14-over 230. Sophomore Ryan Grider shot 6-over 78 to tie for 135th place at 22-over 238, and senior Garrett May posted 7-over 79 in the third round to tie for 101st place at 15-over 231.

HIGHLIGHTS

  *   Baylor finished tied for 13th in the field in par-5 scoring at 6-under 4.90, tied for 19th in par-4 scoring at 59-over 4.39 and tied for 23rd in par-3 scoring at 22-over 3.37.
  *   BU tied for 13th with 146 pars and ranked 24th in the field with 31 birdies.
  *   Kober led the team and tied for 23rd in the tournament with 33 pars across 54 holes.
  *   Bailey finished his BU career ranked seventh in program history with a 72.17 stroke average. His 144 career rounds played ranked fifth on Baylor’s all-time list.
  *   Bailey also tied for fifth with 18 career top-10 finishes and ranked seventh with nine career top-5 finishes.
  *   May finishes his BU career ranked eighth in program history with a 72.20 stroke average. His 122 career rounds played ranked 15th on Baylor’s all-time list.
  *   May also tied for ninth in program history with 14 career top-10 finishes.
  *   Dossey finished the 2018-19 season with a team-best 72.20 stroke average, his second time leading the team in stroke average over three seasons. His 72.20 was the 20th-best single-season mark in BU history.
  *   Kober ranked second on the team with a 72.28 stroke average in 2018-19, finishing just two total strokes behind Dossey. Kober’s 72.28 mark ranked 21st on Baylor’s single-season list.
  *   May ranked 22nd on Baylor’s single-season list with a 72.31 stroke average in 2018-19, finishing just three total strokes back of Dossey and one stroke back of Kober.

STAT OF THE DAY
266 – the total number of stroke play rounds played at Baylor by the team’s two graduating seniors, Braden Bailey and Garrett May. They finished their careers ranked seventh and eighth, respectively, on Baylor’s all-time stroke average list.

TOP QUOTE
“We dug ourselves a hole at 26-over-par the first day, and that was kind of where we sealed our own fate. We knew it, but we still were fighting back and had a good round yesterday until the final three holes, and then today we played a reasonable round coming through the front nine before things came unraveled,” head coach Mike McGraw said. “These guys gave me everything they could possibly give me this year, and I’m really happy with their effort and the way they grew together as a team. That’s really special when a team grows to love each other as much as these guys do.”

WHAT'S NEXT
Baylor wrapped up its 2018-19 season with a school-record fourth consecutive NCAA Championship appearance. The Bears return four of the six players who were part of the team lineup at the 2019 Championship. Cooper Dossey and Colin Kober will be back as seniors, while Ryan Grider and Mark Reppe return as juniors. The Bears also return Brandon Hoff and Travis McInroe, and they add four incoming freshmen who comprised arguably the best recruiting class in program history. Follow @BaylorMGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.

David Kaye | Assistant AD for Communications