Baylor Track & Field: Both 4x400-Meter Relays Advance to Austin

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sun May 26 02:11:21 CDT 2019

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 25, 2019

Baylor Track & Field: Both 4x400-Meter Relays Advance to Austin
Bears will feature both 4x4 squads and five individual athletes at NCAA Outdoor Championships.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Both the men’s and women’s 4x400-meter relay teams advanced to the NCAA Championships to highlight Baylor track & field’s final day Saturday at the NCAA West Preliminary Championships.

In a dramatic finish to the first heat of the men’s 4x4, Chris Platt ran a split of 45.92 on the third leg to close the gap and set up Wil London’s 44.77 anchor leg to run down Iowa for the heat victory. Platt, London, Matthew Moorer and Howard Fields III combined for a time of 3:03.17, tied for the Bears’ season best and good for the second-best overall time among the three heats.

The women’s 4x4 of Aaliyah Miller, Sydney Washington, Victoria Powell, and Leticia De Souza took third in the final heat with a time of 3:35.34 to move on to Nationals in Austin.

“It was impressive,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “It was a great ending to the meet for both of those groups, men and women. We had to make some substitutions on the ladies’ side. I was really happy for them. It was great to see a good ending to a tough weekend for the ladies overall.

“Wil, what a great leg he ran,” Harbour said. “All of those guys ran extremely well. I’m happy for them. Special shout out to Chris. It was about his third quarter of the year. He’s come on really fast after having surgery. I’m really proud of him for stepping up and filling in today. It was a big leg for him. That was a good job.”

Cole Hardan had an impressive showing in the men’s shot put, recording a personal-best throw of 61-10.5 (18.86m) to finish just short of a trip to the NCAA Championships in 14th.

“Cole’s day was a big day,” Harbour said. “To get a two-foot PB - he came really close to making it to Nationals as a freshman. So that’s huge.

“It was a good day for the guys overall,” Harbour said. “The guys that competed. We just had some tough breaks on the ladies’ side. It was great to see them end it on a good note.”

Baylor now shifts its focus to the NCAA Outdoor Championships June 5-8 in Austin, Texas. Along with both 4x400-meter relay teams, the Bears will be represented by KC Lightfoot (pole vault), Jalen Seals (long jump), Wil London (400 meters), Howard Fields III (400 meters), and Aaliyah Miller (800 meters). London, Fields, and Miller are all likely to run the 4x4, as well.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

 [/var/folders/pf/02zg9swd0fz7qy7f5nkl4mymsr0bxx/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/cidimage004.png at 01D50713.9CE40560] <http://baylorbears.com/>