BAYLOR BASEBALL: No. 21 Bears Fall to Nebraska, 12-4

Caton, Rachel Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu
Fri Mar 8 23:14:13 CST 2019

NO. 21 BEARS FALL TO NEBRASKA
The Bears fall 12-4 in game one of the series.
For more information contact: Rachel Caton, 254-652-2061, Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu<mailto:Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
WACO, Texas – The No. 21 Bears fell 12-4 to visiting Nebraska in game one of the series at Baylor Ballpark.

The Bears (9-3) were led at the plate by Nick Loftin, who was 2-for-4 with 2 doubles. Mack Mueller also had a 2-hit performance and drove in one run, while Chase Wehsener also had multi-hit day with a single and his first-career double.

The Huskers (5-6) got out to a fast start as they touched up Baylor starter Hayden Kettler for four runs coming off two two-run homers in the first inning.

The Bears answered with one run of their own in the bottom of the second inning as Mueller delivered an RBI double, pulling the Bears within three, 4-1.

The Huskers added three more runs in the top of the fifth inning to chase Kettler as they plated three more runs on two hits and took advantage of two uncharacteristic Baylor errors. Jimmy Winston made his team-leading seventh appearance of the season to get out of the inning without any further damage.

Kettler’s uncharacteristic day was over, as he went 4.1 innings, giving up seven runs (six earned) on six hits with three walks and five strikeouts.

The Bears answered the Huskers’ runs in the top half of the fifth with a run of their own in the bottom half of the inning on an RBI sac fly from Kyle Harper.

 Jacob Ashkinos threw a scoreless sixth inning to keep the score at 7-2 and was followed by Blake Helton, who pitched a scoreless seventh.

Things starter to get away from the Bears in the eighth and ninth innings, as Helton got touched up for two runs on four hits in the eighth and William Gilbert allowed three runs on three hits in the ninth before Ryan Segner entered to get the Bears out of the jam.

The Bears showed fight in the ninth inning against Husker reliever Chad Luensmann, plating two runs on wild pitches in the ninth inning.

Nebraska starter earned the win, throwing 7.0 innings, allowing two runs (one earned) on seven hits with no walks and eight strikeouts.

Catcher Luke Roskam led the way for the Huskers with a 4-for-6 day with 4 RBI and one home run, while Angelo Altavilla had five RBI on two home runs.

NOTES
*The Bears recorded four extra-base hits, giving them at least one XBH in all 12 games this season.

*Jimmy Winston made his team-leading seventh appearance of the year.

*Josh Bissonette has a team-leading 19-game on-base streak.

*Nick Loftin was 2-for-4, his team-leading ninth multi-hit game of the season and third-straight multi-hit game.

*Loftin, Wehsener and Mueller each had multi-hit games.

*Wendzel has hit safely in 11 of 12 games.

*Ashkinos tallied his first two strikeouts of the year in his 1.0 inning of work.

*Helton collected his first collegiate strikeout in a career-high 2.0 innings of work.

*Helton, Segner, Gilbert and Ashkinos each made their second appearance of the season.

*Mueller and Wehsener each collected their first-career doubles.

STAT OF THE DAY
10 – Bears pitchers have struck out 10 or more batters in 11 of 12 games on the year.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
On Nebraska starter Matt Waldron…
“He just did a great job, he wasn’t walking anybody. He was throwing his fastballs in and he was able to throw a changeup in. He did a good job mixing up guys. As a senior he came out and did exactly what you want your senior to do. You’ve got to tip your hat to him. I think our guys took some pretty good swings. We lined out quite a few times. Their defense made some great plays against us. But at the same time when we got down a little bit at 7-1, we had to play for some bigger innings. So, it changed how we usually go about playing. But at the same time, it was good for us to see something like that. We’ll see how we rebound tomorrow.”
- Baylor head coach Steve Rodriguez

WHAT'S NEXT
Game two of the series vs. Nebraska is set for 3:05 p.m. CT on Saturday, March 9.

For tickets to home games, visit: https://baylorbears.com/sports/2018/9/11/tickets.aspx. For updates on the program follow @baylorbaseball on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

-baylorbears.com-

Rachel Caton | Associate Sports Information Director
O: 254-710-3784
C: 254-652-2061

[cid:image001.png at 01D3533B.25DEF160]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>