Baylor Track & Field: London, Lightfoot Shine on Special Day at MJ Invitational

Coleman, Kellen Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 20 22:37:55 CDT 2019

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 20, 2019

Baylor Track & Field: London, Lightfoot Shine on Special Day at MJ Invitational
Coach Clyde Hart’s men’s and women’s 4x400-meter relay teams win in his final home meet.

For more information contact: Kellen Coleman, 254-749-6507, Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu<mailto:Kellen_Coleman at baylor.edu>

*COMPLETE RESULTS ATTACHED*

WACO, Texas – On a day where the new Bill Adams Family Pavilion was dedicated and legendary coach Clyde Hart was honored for his final home meet, several Baylor track & field athletes made their marks Saturday on Senior Day at the Michael Johnson Invitational at Clyde Hart Track & Field Stadium.

“It was an incredible environment with great fan support,” head coach Todd Harbour said. “We appreciate all of those that came out. We had some great teams, and we appreciate all of the teams that came. The facility ran incredible. We had some of the top marks in the country set. It was a special, special day.”

It was also senior Wil London’s final home meet, and he made the most of it with wins in both the 400 meters and 4x400-meter relay. He posted a time of 44.93 to take the 400 crown, and cruised to a four-second victory on the 4x4 anchor leg set up by Jayson Baldridge, Matthew Moorer, and Howard Fields III. The Bears’ 4x4 time of 3:03.17 currently ranks No. 3 in the country.

“Wil’s time in the quarter was one of the top times in the U.S. right now,” Harbour said. “It was a great ending for those two 4x4s.”

The women’s 4x400-meter relay set the stadium record with a time of 3:32.63 as seniors Kiana Horton and Victoria Powell along with sophomores Aaliyah Miller and Sydney Washington took home the victory.

Freshman KC Lightfoot made history yet again, tying for the victory in the men’s pole vault invite with a career-best and stadium record mark of 18-8.75 (5.71m). He is the No. 2 all-time performer at Baylor in the outdoor pole vault, and his mark ranks as the fourth-best performance in school history behind three of Bill Payne’s jumps.

In the women’s pole vault invite, Tuesdi Tidwell recorded a personal-best jump of 14-2 (4.32m) to finish as the third-ranked collegiate competitor. Her mark stands as the eighth-best pole vault performance in Baylor outdoor history.

“Tuesdi and KC were their spectacular selves in the vault,” Harbour said.

One of the highlights of the day was the emergence of sophomore Demitra Carter, who clocked a personal-best time of 11.46 to take the victory in the women’s 100 meters.

“Demitra, that was a big one,” Harbour said. “Her 11.4, that was one of the highlights for me. Watching her run that fast - that was a big, big day for her.”

There was no shortage of big-time performances for the Bears on Saturday, including many from the group of 27 seniors who were honored on the track prior to the evening running events.

“It was a big day for Leti (De Souza) in the 800 and 4x4,” Harbour said. “Alex (Madlock) had a very solid triple jump again. I thought one of the big highlights that maybe went unnoticed early was Caira (Pettway) in the long jump. Big PB for her. I thought the 200 guys ran well early. Isaiah (Cunningham) and Ian (Braxton) both had nice PBs. Maxwell (Willis) ran solid in the 200. Sarah (Yocum) PB’d in the 400 hurdles. Big day for her. Across the board, we had a lot of solid performances. Kiana’s quarter was solid. It was a great meet and a great weekend. Overall, just good people. Great crowd. The people that came saw some of the best track & field in the country.”

With the home schedule complete, Baylor now heads to Fayetteville, Ark., for the National Relay Championships April 26-27. It is the final tune-up before the Big 12 Outdoor Championships, which will take place in Norman, Okla, May 10-12.

For continued updates on the Baylor Track & Field team, follow the team's social media accounts all season long: @BaylorTrack.

Kellen Coleman | Associate Director of Communications

[cid:image001.png at 01D3A0F8.B3ECA3C0]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>