BAYLOR BASEBALL: No. 18 Baseball Drops Rubber Game at No. 22 Texas Tech

Caton, Rachel Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu
Sat Apr 20 17:50:47 CDT 2019

                BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 20, 2019

No. 18 Baseball Drops Rubber Game at No. 22 Texas Tech
The Bears were in an early 9-0 hole and were unable to climb out of it.
For more information contact: Rachel Caton, 254-652-2061, Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu<mailto:Rachel_Caton at baylor.edu>

THE RUNDOWN
LUBBOCK, Texas – The No. 18 Bears fell 13-3 in seven innings to drop the series at No. 22 Texas Tech on Saturday afternoon at Rip Griffin Park.

Davis Wendzel went 2-for-3 with 2 RBIs, including a two-run home run to lead the Bears (26-12, 9-5). Shea Langeliers was the only other Bear to have a multi-hit day, as he also tallied two hits. Overall, the top six hitters in the Bears’ lineup had at least one hit on the day.

The Red Raiders (25-13, 8-7) jumped on the Bears early, getting to freshman starter Blake Helton as they put up four runs in the bottom of the first and five in the bottom of the second to put the Bears in a 9-0 hole early that they were unable to overcome. Cameron Warren and Dylan Neuse hit grand slams in the first and second innings, respectively.

The Bears answered with a two-spot in the top of the third on Wendzel’s home run, his eighth of the year to put the Bears on the board, 9-2.

The Red Raiders added one on an RBI double in the fourth to put the Bears down, 10-2.

One bright spot on the day was reliever Jacob Ashkinos, who tossed a career-best 4.0 innings in relief, allowing just the one run in the fourth inning, scattering three hits while striking out four and walking just three.

In the top of the seventh inning, the Bears added a third run on a sac fly by Nick Loftin to pull within seven, 10-3.

However, in the bottom half of the seventh Neuse connected on his second homer of the day off reliever Hayden Kettler, this one a three-run home run and with the Bears training 13-3 on getaway day, the run rule was in play and the Bears dropped the rubber game.

Baylor starter Blake Helton took the loss to fall to 1-2 on the year, while Red Raider starter Caleb Killian earned the win to improve to 6-2.

NOTES

*The Bears are now 5-8 against Texas Tech under fourth-year head coach Steve Rodriguez.

*Davis Wendzel extended his on-base streak to 19 games and his hit streak to nine games.

*Wendzel launched his eighth home run of the year to tie Haring for the team-high.

*Ashkinos made his 16th appearance of the season (13th out of the bullpen) and tossed a career-best 4.0 innings in relief, allowing just one run on three hits while striking out four and walking three.

*Richard Cunningham has a 10-game hitting streak.

*Andy Thomas has a 10-game hit streak.

*Shea Langeliers has an eight-game hit streak.

*Kettler made his eighth appearance of the year, third out of the bullpen.

STAT OF THE DAY
9 – The Bears were unable to overcome the crooked number the Red Raiders put up in the first and second innings (four in the first, five in the second).

QUOTE OF THE DAY
On today’s contest…
“We got off to a rough start. Blake was pitching at the belt, and for a team that is looking for the ball elevated, they were able to get some balls up in the air and get some hits and a couple grand slams and next thing you know we are down 9-0. I thought our guys did a good job of fighting back and had some good at bats. We just need to find a way to get better, make sure we pitch down in the zone and continue to play good defense.”
- Baylor head coach Steve Rodriguez

WHAT'S NEXT
The Bears return home to host Stephen F. Austin at 6:35 p.m. CT on Tuesday, April 23 at Baylor Ballpark.

For tickets to home games, visit: https://baylorbears.com/sports/2018/9/11/tickets.aspx. For updates on the program follow @baylorbaseball on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

-baylorbears.com-

Rachel Caton | Associate Sports Information Director
O: 254-710-3784
C: 254-652-2061

[cid:image001.png at 01D3533B.25DEF160]<http://www.baylorbears.com/>