Fwd: UTSA Head Coach Frank Wilson Media Roundtable Transcript

Bryan, Taylor Taylor_Bryan at baylor.edu
Mon Sep 3 17:17:30 CDT 2018

Taylor Bryan
Baylor Football Communications

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kyle M. Stephens" <Kyle.Stephens at utsa.edu<mailto:Kyle.Stephens at utsa.edu>>
Date: September 3, 2018 at 5:09:29 PM CDT
To: Undisclosed recipients:;
Subject: Fwd: UTSA Head Coach Frank Wilson Media Roundtable Transcript

In case your local media needs this. There will also be some sound from Coach today posted soon. I can forward that link when it’s available.

Kyle Stephens
UTSA Athletics Communications

Sent from my iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Kyle M. Stephens" <Kyle.Stephens at utsa.edu<mailto:Kyle.Stephens at utsa.edu>>
Date: September 3, 2018 at 4:42:45 PM CDT

UTSA Head Coach Frank Wilson Media Roundtable
Monday, Sept. 3, 2018

On what the Arizona State game film showed …
“That was a well-coached football team that was much improved from two years ago. They’re a talented, good team and they’re well-coached. At times, if the game played itself out and we were just an inferior opponent, it’s one thing. The score would indicate that, but the film doesn’t show that. For whatever reason, we didn’t play the type of football we’re capable of playing. Call it first-game, first-time Division I-start, jitters, whatever it may be; things that we fundamentally practice we didn’t execute it. It started with the opening kickoff that’s a line drive and bounces at the 20-yard line on a unit that we pride ourselves with, with a ball that’s generally going to go into the end zone, and it continued from the first snap of defense and other times, as well, where guys just from an alignment standpoint weren’t aligned. They were supposed to be aligned in one spot and they were aligned in the other. Offensively, the same thing; did not communicate effectively. It wasn’t that we didn’t know what to do, but we didn’t communicate with each other at all times on the things we were doing. So, when you have a unit that relies on one another to work, you have to be on the same page and we didn’t do a very good job of communicating to one another, thus we didn’t demand it enough within the practices of those things that needed to be done. The good is that they’re all correctable mistakes; that it wasn’t that sheer, brute power and just outmanned us; outplayed us, because they put themselves into position to make plays, but didn’t just outman us because we were incapable. They took advantage of the things that we did not do correctly from an alignment and assignment standpoint.”

On how to prevent one loss from beating you a second time …
“You fix it. You fix the same things that where a guy is supposed to be in a five technique is in a five and not in a nine; the blocking scheme that requires two guys to combination to the guy in front of them, they do, not one guy trying to man them and the other guy going the opposite way, so you rectify those things. You identify it. You own it. You go to the field and you give them that exact same look because best believe that opponent’s going to see it and come right after you yet again. You fix those things.”

On how Baylor looked in its opening game …
“They’re a much-improved football team. They played Abilene Christian well. You look at them in the back end of their season a year ago when they played Texas and Duke and those people, they were much improved even then. A talented team that continues to improve. Matt Rhule and his staff do a really good job. We will have our tasks cut out for us, because it’s so much of what we have to do. We’re such a work in progress and fixing the things that we need to do. We did a lot of things incorrectly that need to be rectified in order for us to continue or to have promise in this season. It’s one game and I get it. There’s no alarm bells going off, there’s no panic, but we need to fix those things that we did not do well a week ago.”

On the team’s attitude on Sunday …
“We spoke the truth. We spoke the truth of things that we did not do as a team well enough in all three phases. When your average drive starts at the 18 and theirs starts at the 29-yard, you give yourself a tougher task with five of those inside the 10 and two of those inside the five, and that’s a special teams piece we’ll have to fix. An offense that when you give up nine sacks and lose 80-plus yards to rushing because of those things, that doesn’t bode well; and on top of it, turn the ball over three times coupled by a defense that needs to be aligned properly and needs to tackle well. It wasn’t necessarily that they were catching 80-yard bombs down the field. A guy was catching and we were not tackling, and he made five or 10-yard catches into long runs, and that’s fundamental. You have a guy in front of you, you wrap up. You don’t lunge at his feet and do those things. So, we’ll be better. We owned it. We identified it. We owned it and have started the process of correcting it as early as yesterday and will continue on Tuesday’s practice. We had a great practice yesterday. The reality is you again, you talk about those things, you own up to it. You fix it and then you put it behind you. We enjoyed a nice supper with each other last night. We’re a family. You can acknowledge the things that you’ve done well. You can acknowledge the things you have not done well and be responsible in those regards, and then you move forward. You don’t allow it to linger and continue, to dread over. We dealt with it. We moved beyond it, and this morning we’re making preparations for Baylor.”

On the play of the two quarterbacks, Cordale Grundy and D.J. Gillins …
“When you look at the sacks, it’s not always the offensive line. Sometimes, it’s the quarterback holding on to it too long. Sometimes, it’s them escaping outside of the confinements of a pocket that has been established for them and you break outside of it, well we can’t protect the outside of that. When I say the sacks, that’s not something I’m labeling or putting on the offensive line. We all have ownership in it, as well as a receiver who may have gone too deep in a route and when the quarterback was ready to throw it wasn’t there, or a back who got pushed into the quarterback instead of closing the distance to the linebacker. I think our quarterbacks did some good things. I think we’re a long way to go from establishing ourselves as a good football team. We’re not there yet.”

On not getting too low after a loss or high after a win …
“It has its place. It was important because it was the first game. This one becomes important because it’s the next game. We played it. That outcome has happened. There’s no more we can do about it but correct the things that are correctable and prepare for this next opponent, and we’ve taken that approach.”

On getting to play at home this week and Operation Defend The Dome …
“As far as the team. They’re aware of what’s going on, but that’s the perimeter. What I say to them is ‘you’re the source of entertainment for all that’s going to happen.’ We’re considered, if you will, the mecca of military cities in America, so we want to do a good job in putting a good brand on the field, doing our job. We have our marketing team, we have alumnus, we have support staff and families, everybody that is going to be engaged. It’s going to be a wonderful day, a mystic day in the Alamodome, and we look forward to it. But they’re (players) are focused on the game and expecting a nice crowd, anticipating a nice crowd, but not too caught up into the perimeter stuff because you have an opponent across from you who’s coming after you and you need to be prepared.”