No. 8 Baylor Equestrian’s Season Ends in NCEA Quarterfinals

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu Apr 13 15:27:10 CDT 2023

Post-meet press conference featuring head coach Casie Maxwell, Jumping Seat senior Dominika Silvestri and Reining fifth-year senior Madaline Callaway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1mYBKyEbcE. I will pass along a box score once I receive it.

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – April 13, 2023

No. 8 Baylor Equestrian’s Season Ends in NCEA Quarterfinals
Bears push No. 1 SMU to the brink, but come up short 10-8

OCALA, Fla. – No. 8 Baylor equestrian’s season came to an end on Thursday in the national quarterfinals after a 10-8 loss to No. 1 SMU.

The Bears (6-10) led the majority of the meet, including 5-4 after two events and 7-6 after three, but the Mustangs (11-1) were too much to hold off.

Senior Jumping Seat rider Dominika Silvestri put the exclamation mark on her outstanding season with her 14th win of the year in Flat. She was the only Bear to go 2-0 on the Jumping Seat side on the day.

THE RUNDOWN
The Bears got off to a hot start in Fences with a 3-1 victory in the day’s first event. Freshman Lauren Reid led the way with a point-scoring 258, while Silvestri (245) and freshman Lauren Jorgensen (227) also put up tallies for BU. Senior Maddie Vorhies scored a season-high 261 and tied her point to cap off the first event.

Then in Reining, BU held on to its halftime lead as the Mustangs edged out a 3-2 event win. Seniors Daisy Kaufman (211) and Andie Pratt (200.5) put points on the board for the Bears, helping the team to an overall 5-4 lead through the first two events.

Over in the Flat arena, Baylor and SMU were knotted 2-2 after all five rides. All-Americans Silvestri (242) and junior Madison Mitchell (241) scored the points, while Reid (241) tied her head-to-head, giving BU a 7-6 lead ahead of the final event.

In what amounted to be a chaotic last event with three reviewed scores and two re-rides, SMU ultimately grabbed a 4-1 win in Horsemanship. Senior Elsie Naruszewicz (226.5) put up the lone tally for the Bears, as the Mustangs rallied to come from behind and advance to the national semifinals.

HIGHLIGHTS
• This is Baylor’s fifth loss of the season that came within a three-point margin of deficit.
• Baylor’s Fences squad won its seventh event of the season and second against SMU this year.
• Senior Maddie Vorhies posted BU’s season-high 261 (equivalent to 87) in Fences.
• Freshman Lauren Reid tallied a career-high 258 (equivalent to 86) in Fences.
• Senior Dominika Silvestri won her fourth-consecutive Fences ride.
• Silvestri also won her 14th Flat ride of the season, the most by a Bear in the program’s recorded history.
• Junior Madison Mitchell ended the season winning nine of her last 10 Flat rides.

STAT OF THE MEET
3 – Five of Baylor’s 10 losses in 2022-23 came within three points.

QUOTABLE
Head coach Casie Maxwell
On today’s meet…
“It was a really close meet, coming down to that last ride. I’m really proud of how everybody rode across the board, from start to finish. Jumping Seat really cleaned things up today and were absolutely amazing. I’m so glad to have them end their season that way. There was a lot of heart out there in every single ride. We had some unfortunate things happen in the Western arena and that’s the nature of the sport that we play. But just really proud of how all of these girls went in clear-minded, extremely confident and knew they could come out with a win today.”

Jumping Seat senior Dominika Silvestri
On her two rides…
“It started off strong. Coach told us before we went in the ring that there was no pressure. There was nothing to lose. I was a little nervous before that, but then she said that and I wasn’t nervous anymore. Fences went great across the board, we had some freshmen step up so I was really proud of them for that. And then in Flat, we came out swinging and same thing happened. We got some good points on the board.”

Reining fifth-year senior Madaline Callaway
On her ride…
“My goal today was just to have fun. It was possibly going to be one of my last rides, so my goal was just to have fun, no pressure at all, and that’s what I went out and did. It was a good last ride. I’m so glad that I was able to experience my five years at Baylor.”

To stay up to date on all things Baylor equestrian, follow the team on its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorEQ.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)