Baylor Baseball’s Run at Big 12 Championship Ends With 11-1 Loss to OSU

Calderone, Max Max_Calderone at baylor.edu
Thu May 26 14:18:13 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 26, 2022

Baylor Baseball’s Run at Big 12 Championship Ends With 11-1 Loss to OSU
Bears finish the year at 26-28 overall

ARLINGTON, Texas – No. 8 seed Baylor baseball (26-28) was defeated by run-rule against No. 4 seed Oklahoma State (37-19), 11-1, Thursday morning at Globe Life Field in Arlington.

The Bears were held in check by Cowboys’ ace Justin Campbell, who registered 10 strikeouts in a complete game, seven-inning contest. BU’s only three hits came from Antonio Valdez, Harrison Caley and Jacob Schoenvogel, who scored on Alex Gonzales’ RBI groundout for the Bears’ lone tally.

Following OSU’s opening run in the bottom of the second inning, Baylor tied the ballgame at 1-1 when Schoenvogel wheeled around to an unoccupied third base after singling and advancing on an error. In the next at-bat, Gonzales put a ball in play to score the runner and pick up his 11th RBI of the season.

BU used five different pitchers, including Jake Jackson, Grant Golomb, Matt Voelker, Adam Muirhead and Anderson Needham, but struggled to slow down the potent Cowboys offense that scored runs in five of the seven innings played.

A three-run home run gave OSU the lead back in the third, and the Pokes added two more in the fourth to charge ahead 6-1. A pair of runs in the sixth preceded a three-spot in the seventh that resulted in the run-rule.

With the loss, Baylor was eliminated from the 2022 Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship.

NOTES
• Baylor falls to 37-43 all-time at the Big 12 Championship and 4-5 all-time as the No. 8 seed in the tournament.
• BU added to its nation-leading total of 64 double plays with another twin killing in the ballgame.
• Antonio Valdez extended his hit streak to six games.
• Alex Gonzales drove in his 11th run of the season.

STAT OF THE GAME
3 – Baylor was held to three hits and just one run by OSU RHP Justin Campbell, who struck out 10 Bears and walked none.

TOP QUOTES
Head coach Steve Rodriguez
On allowing an early home run…
“Let’s be honest, I couldn’t be more proud of our pitching staff. And I know that is kind of weird to say when you kind of go through this. But, when you have starters go down and then you have bullpen guys kind of try to fill in the gaps. And them some of them go down. Pretty soon, you start to keep moving pieces, trying to fill those holes. And when you have guys going into roles that weren’t really designed for them yet, just because of their experience, their opportunity, their youth, I have to sit back as a coach and look at them  . . . they went out there, and they just battled.”

On Campbell’s outing…
“He was different. And I said this to somebody afterwards, we faced him five days ago, and he was a completely different guy. Today, he wouldn’t let our hitters breathe, it was really impressive. He has that ability, he’s an unbelievably talented kid. He’s going to have a long career, it’s going to be fun to watch him. For today, pretty frustrating. But at the same time, you’ve got to give credit where it’s due. He came out there and earned everything he got.”

For the latest news on the Baylor baseball team all season long, follow its official Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts: @BaylorBaseball.

Max Calderone | Associate Director of Athletics Communications (BSB, FB, EQ)