Baylor WGOLF Adds ETSU Transfer Hasegawa for Fall 2022

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Thu May 26 13:44:34 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 26, 2022
Baylor WGOLF Adds ETSU Transfer Hasegawa for Fall 2022
The transfer led the Buccaneers in stroke average as a freshman in 2021-22
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.ed<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>u
WACO, Texas – Baylor women's golf has signed East Tennessee State’s Sera Hasegawa to a Financial Aid Contract, head coach Jay Goble announced Thursday. She will join the Bears with four years of eligibility beginning in 2022-23.
“I think her desire to play high-level college golf and compete with a really good team is what she was looking for,” he said. “I think when you bring in a freshman, it can be hit or miss on whether their game translates to the college level. The exciting thing about Sera is that we have a year's worth of data to know that her game did travel well, and she did do very well in her first season. She has very high expectations of her game and where she wants to take it.”
A native of Gifu, Japan, Hasegawa is coming off a stellar freshman season with ETSU where she earned The Southern Conference’s Freshman of the Year honors in addition to making the All-Conference team.
She led her team in stroke average with a 72.52 across 23 rounds, with her best finishes coming by way of a tie for 2nd at both the Ron Moore intercollegiate and the 2022 Clover Cup. Hasegawa recorded four top-5 finishes and never finished outside the top-20 in eight events last season.
As a freshman, she shot a pair of rounds in the 60's, including a career-best 67 at the Clover Cup in early April. Her 67 was en route to her career-best 54-hole score of 208, earning her Southern Conference Women’s Golfer of the Week.
Hasegawa comes to Baylor nationally ranked by Golfstat (No. 89) and Golfweek (No. 127) while sitting at No. 410 in the latest Women’s World Amateur Golf Ranking. Her Golfstat ranking is third on Baylor's returning roster, behind Britta Snyder (No. 65) and Rosie Belsham (No. 70). Goble likes how she fits into the roster for next year’s team.
“We had Sera on campus about a month ago and felt like she fit in great with the team," Goble said. "She instantly connected with BaiMai [Seema], we all went to lunch together, and their friendship started very quickly. I believe our current and incoming players are going to push her really hard to be better, and she, in turn, is going to push our team to be better, which is great.”
Hasegawa will join a roster that includes four of the six players that competed for BU at the NCAA Championship this week, including Snyder, Belsham, Seema and Hannah Karg. The ETSU transfer will be one of three newcomers on the squad, joining Silje Ohma from Bergen, Norway and Mallory Matthews from Hondo, Texas.
For more information on Baylor Women’s Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]