Baylor WGOLF Finishes 18th at The NCAA Championship

Roberts, Matt WM_Roberts at baylor.edu
Sun May 22 22:44:39 CDT 2022

BAYLOR ATHLETICS COMMUNICATIONS – May 22, 2022
Baylor WGOLF Finishes 18th at The NCAA Championship
BU’s Kaur shoots 3-under 69 to advance to the final round as an individual
For more information contact: Matt Roberts, 254-227-2280, WM_Roberts at Baylor.ed<mailto:WM_Roberts at Baylor.edu>u

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Baylor women’s golf finished 18th at the NCAA Championship after a 7-over 295 on Sunday at Grayhawk Golf Club, recording a 54-hole total of 42-over 906.

The Bears finished just three shots out of a playoff for the final spot in the top-15, which South Carolina eventually won over Wake Forest.

Gurleen Kaur earned a spot in the final round as an individual after a 3-under 69, climbing 49 spots into a tie for 20th on Sunday. The senior began with three-straight pars and a birdie at No. 4 to get into red figures. Following a bogey at No. 5, she birdied No. 6 and closed the front nine with a bogey at No. 9 for an even-par 36. The blemish on her card at No. 9 would be her last of the day as she birdied Nos. 11, 14 and 18 to punctuate one of four sub-70 rounds in the field on Sunday.

Addie Baggarly finished tied for 81st at 13-over in her final NCAA Tournament after a 3-over 75 on Sunday. The graduate transfer started out red-hot with birdies at Nos. 1, 4 and 6 to get to 3-under par and help push the Bears inside the cutline. Following a triple-bogey at No. 9 and a bogey at No. 10, Baggarly recorded five-straight pars until a double-bogey five at the par-3 16th. She finished with a pair of pars to notch her career-best NCAA Championship finish.

Rosie Belsham finished in a tie for 89th in her second NCAA Championship appearance, on the heels of a 4-over 76 on Sunday. Belsham recovered from bogeys at Nos. 4 and 5 with a birdie at No. 9 to help move Baylor further inside the cutline. The sophomore made back-to-back bogeys at Nos. 11 and 12, but again made a big birdie at No. 16 to keep hope alive for the Bears trying to earn a top-15 spot. She closed with a par at 17 and a double-bogey at No. 18 to close her week with a 14-over 230.

Britta Snyder finished in a tie for 100th in her second NCAA Championship appearance after a 3-over 75 on Sunday. The sophomore started with a birdie at No. 1, one of just five birdies at that hole in the third round, and followed up with another at No. 3 to jump-start the Bears. She played her next six holes at 1-over par to make the turn in red figures with a 1-under 35. After three-straight pars to open the back-nine she bogeyed five of her next six holes, before closing with a par at the 18th to finish the week with a 16-over 232.

BaiMai Seema made her NCAA Championship debut at the No. 5 spot in place of Hannah Karg on Sunday. Seema started with three-straight pars before suffering a double bogey at the par-5 4th hole. She made bogeys at Nos. 5 and 8 for a 4-over 40 at the turn. After her first birdie of the day at No. 11, the freshman made six bogeys to finish off her NCAA Championship.

HIGHLIGHTS

•      BU shot its best round of the tournament on Sunday with a 7-over 295, the 23rd best postseason round in program history and seventh-best in the field.

•      Gurleen Kaur’s 3-under 69 tied for the 13th-best individual postseason round in program history.

•      It was her first sub-70 round in the NCAA Championship since the final round of the 2018 NCAA Championship at Karsten Creek.

•      Britta Snyder and Addie Baggarly accounted for two of the five birdies at No. 1 on Sunday.

QUOTES OF THE DAY

Head coach Jay Goble on the team’s play Sunday: “I'm super proud of them. We have a great group this year. We've had a lot of fun. We played some great golf, especially here at the end of the year. It was a tough week and we didn't actually play our best yesterday or the day before, but I think we battled back today and showed our resilience. It was nice to shoot the lowest round of the week on the final day, so I think that that left a little better taste in our mouths. This team is really great. They have a lot of talent, and Carly and I could not be prouder to coach them. I think they'll be back here next year to try to figure it out again.”

On Gurleen moving on to the final round as an individual: “I walked around with her all day today, and she played fantastic. In my mind, I kind of thought today was the last day, so it'll be really cool to have a victory lap with her tomorrow. She's been an incredible representative for Baylor in the classroom and on the golf course, in every way possible. It'll be nice to go walk with her one more time, and to have her teammates and all of us out here watching her, I think it'll be a great day.

WHAT’S NEXT

Kaur will represent Baylor in the final round as an individual teeing off on No. 10 at 2:12 p.m. CT Monday. Golf Channel will have live coverage from 4-7 p.m. CT on Monday. Live scoring will be available at golfstat.com<https://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=team&tid=24975>. For more information on Baylor Women's Golf, follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

www.BaylorBears.com<http://www.BaylorBears.com>

Matt Roberts | Associate Director of Athletic Communications (MGOLF/ WGOLF/ FOOTBALL/ MBB)

 [cid:image003.png at 01D7D346.D6F76D30]